Wyoming is calling...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
And I'm hearing it clearly. :grin:

Getting real close, just a few days now. I'll be packing up the Jeep, heading east.
zjgE3Pxl.jpg

Will be heading across eastern Washington, then through the Idaho panhandle and into western Montana. Pause for a little fly fishing and camp a couple of nights, then on farther east, and eventually end up on a ranch that straddles the Montana/Wyoming border. This will be my fourth hunt on the same ranch; 2012, 2014, 2016, and this year. Another Nosler forum member, Stephen Ashe, (Roysclockgun) introduced me to the ranch on my first hunt. That one was likely the most fun, as I shared meals with Stephen and his wife Storm every day. She got the first buck, and I think the biggest mulie buck of that trip too!

Lots of good memories in the three years I've hunted there, and looking forward to more memories. I enjoy the road trip to the ranch an awful lot, but the hunt is really special.
Xim5BYzl.jpg

The 25-06 is going of course. It's just about perfect for the open country hunting I do there.
JpQnhQQl.jpg

The 30-06 was my choice last time, and it will be along as well. Just nice to have an extra rifle when hunting a thousand miles from home.
a5ZkQqGl.jpg

Both of the rifles have 6x scopes, the 25-06 has always been a little more accurate for me. I will confess to paying extra attention to the handloads I build for it.

I took the 204 Ruger back in 2012, and by golly, it might come along again. We're talking about hammering some prairie dogs if we tag our bucks early enough and have a day or two to spare. The other hunter is likely bringing a 22-250 for that purpose.

Best of luck to all of you hunters! I've got a few days until I head out, so I'll stay in touch pretty well until then. Who knows, maybe Fotis and I will finally get to have a cuppa coffee together! :grin:

Guy

I would be counting down the seconds! Looks to be a fantastic adventure..Best of luck! My friend and I have been discussing such a hunt for several years. Both of our youngest will be graduating from their University's in two years, so hopefully that will free up the funds to make a trip.

Go get 'em Guy! ENJOY- be safe and take some pics for us. :) Incidentally that pic behind the spotting scope is why I love that country. The sun sets on the plains, everywhere else it just gets dark :) !! But then I am biased.....and jealous!! CL

cloverleaf":1sano3yd said:
Go get 'em Guy! ENJOY- be safe and take some pics for us. :) Incidentally that pic behind the spotting scope is why I love that country. The sun sets on the plains, everywhere else it just gets dark :) !! But then I am biased.....and jealous!! CL

That was actually a mighty chilly sunrise. :grin: Buddy of mine is glassing. It was tough glassing into the sun, but about the only way we had to see those deer, coming back into the higher ground. Didn't pay off that time, but I shot a buck from that same vantage point in 2012.

Guy

As I told you I'm leaving tomorrow after work, and will be hunting SE of Gillette next week. I'll be sure to leave you a few antelope. :grin:

We're doing a 3 generation hunt with Dad, me and my son. It's the first time we've done this out west, and it should be fun.

Dr. Vette":xm1n3xbm said:
As I told you I'm leaving tomorrow after work, and will be hunting SE of Gillette next week. I'll be sure to leave you a few antelope. :grin:

We're doing a 3 generation hunt with Dad, me and my son. It's the first time we've done this out west, and it should be fun.

Best of luck. Should be a wonderful hunt!

Guy

Guy, Glad to see you're bringing a back-up rifle with you. With the preparation, distance involved and cost, the last thing you need is a rifle failure although 700's aren't normally a problem.

Guy best of luck on your trip and save travels. Two perfect rifles with about the best optics set-up you can imagine on both of them. I hope you get a big one! Are you after mule deer and antelope both?

David

I'll be heading out either Monday or Tuesday, depending on how the "honey do" list proceeds here before I leave...

David - I have both mule deer and antelope tags. Usually I hunt pretty hard for a good muley, and kinda take whatever antelope buck happens to give me a decent shot opportunity.

Guy

Guy, wishing you a safe trip and a great hunt. I am looking forward to reading about it and seeing the pictures.

Dan

Back