Different countries, different rules....

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
I thought I give you an impression what hunting is like in Germany.
First: you have to be 16 to hunt. Until 18, someone has to accompany you.
Only rimfire before 16, and those only from 14 on....
We have specific limits on cartridges.
At least 6.5 mm AND 1475 footpounds of energy @100m for big game. Which is anything bigger than roe deer.
Half the energy on roe without diameter-restrictions.

Hunting licenses require a course of 3 weeks full time or about 9 nine months few days a week. Written and practical exams, including shooting (clay, running boar and roe deer @100m).

We do.not have public land as you have in the US.
You usually lease land for 9-12 years, then you (and whoever you want) have the rights to hunt there. Hunting times are long, on some species quatas have to be met.
Some of the hunts are usually at night time, since wild boar learned not to come out of cover during daylight.
Driven hunts with dogs are common, usually late fall and winter. And we usually stand around during harvest to have a chance on boars coming out...

We usually have to pay for the damage to the crops done by boar. Depending on were you hunt, that can be a significant sum!
Leases are astronomic around major cities, only the rich can affort to hunt there. Or you have to know someone...
Hunting is limited to rifles and shotguns, no bowhunting.
Muzzleloaders are a grey area.

So - be grateful for what you have and defend it with all you have!
Our 'greens' want no private weapon-storage, no guns at home.
So far, it didn't happen. But....

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing. The first meal of venison I recall was in Steinenbronn Germany at Hotel Krone. Served with creamed morel mushroom sauce and a side of Spaetzle. It was amazing. If I recall properly, the hotel owner was also the local gameskeeper. The menu was a function of what they had. I forgot to mention schmaltz brot too.

I have co-workers from Europe and they always enjoy going to the range. Most are quite capable with firearms.

I’d like to hear from Africa, Australia etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your story with us all here. I had briefly lived in Germany myself and enjoyed the city life available there, and respect what we have here!

Back