Cheetah

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Several have asked me about the Cheetah. I tried to get Jamila to respond as she is far more knowledgable than I, but I am afraid that is not going to happen.

Namibia has the largest concentration of these cats in Africa and one can hunt them, but if your from the U.S., you can not bring the trophy back. I believe our members in Canada can however. They are a tough hunt and are usually harvested by a chance encounter. However they are not a tough animal and can be hunted with a 300, even 280 easily. ( 7mm being the smallest caliber allowed/recommended ). You need to have good glass as they could be 300 yards out and they blend in so easily, you need to "find them" in the grass and brush. You can not bait them as they will only eat fresh meat. I think they have gotten expensive. The last I heard was 12000.oo plus. IMHO, the hunt is not worth that amount of money. You could hunt several other animals for that price and have more fun doing so--again IMHO

Mine was harvested 20 years ago with a 300 H & H at 77 yards. It was by chance encounter.

truck driver":uaavf4qb said:
Thanks for sharing April.

thank you Rodger

actually after I posted it I thought maybe I should have just pm, d the info to the interested parties as probably not a lot of people have cheetah on their short lost lol

Never particularly considered hunting cheetah, April. But, then, I've never seriously considered hunting Africa. There was always somewhere else to spend my money. Still, I suppose it is good to know.

Yeah if I were to get a Cheetah I would want a cub that i could raise and domesticate. They are a beautiful animal.

Back