Oregon deer opener

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
My young buddy Carson has been hunting pheasants with me for four years, deer for three.
This morning he missed a really good buck at first light at 400. 15 minutes later he made a good 300 yard shot on this guy. IMG_2511.JPGIMG_2506.JPG
Carson work for me this summer in Alaska, used his tip money to buy a Browning X bolt 300WSM; he used 200 gr Hornady eldx. I told him to buy Accubonds, but he couldn't find any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations to Carson. He did well on that opener. Looks as if that X-bolt worked well for him.

Congratulations to Carson. That is a fine looking buck. How nice that he could work and use his tip money to buy something that he could put to such good use.

Dan

So 18 year old Carson became the beneficiary of a cow elk depredation tag. The kid lives in Southern California and absolutely loves to hunt. His dad brings him along on three or four business meetings a year at the ranch along with the top sales reps and customers. They hunt pheasant and use the meeting room for two or three days. When the "old guys" are working Carson and I get a few extra hunts in. Sometimes he just wants to work the dogs.
The Boss only gets a few tags this year and decided to gift them to special clients. After Carson got his buck the tag was offered, a hunt planned.
It could have started with the truck parked out of sight and an easy slightly down hill approach to a great O/P. But I wanted more.
The truck was parked a mile away and 1500 feet lower then our target area. At 0500 I handed him a pack frame and said let's go, we have an hour to get where we need to be. He's in shape so we made good time, didn't have to make the last 250 yards on hands and knees.
The first elk appeared on a distant flat, a couple of good bulls and a bunch of cows. 600 yards. He offered he simply needed to dial his VX6 and shoot.
Not so fast grasshopper. I asked if he had done a lot of shooting at 600. No he said and you just zeroed this rifle for me Friday, you're loosing it. About three seconds later " I get it" I had him take a few dry fire shots, he reported that the cross hairs bounced off when he pressed the trigger.
The elk finally moved into the intervening canyon offering only glimpses. We waited an hour, the bulls were chasing their cows around. The bull with the split 4&5 had enough and started pushing his cows down. They will either come through that gap or over that bench I said. 15 minutes nothing. I cow called, the bull screamed back, 200 yards below but out of sight.
Up on the bench quartering away, but not too bad, now about 300 vertical and 250 yards. I don't like the angle. Don't adjust your scope, get back on her. I stop her with a cow call. She looked back, now at 300. I called again and the bull started galloping to us. Don't watch him stay on her I said. She took a step and the 300 WSM roared. Hit high on the shoulder I couldn't believe she didn't drop. She took a few steps straight away stood there wobbling. She'll turn in a second and head for the draw get ready. She did and immediately was moving. Shoot I yelled. Boom and down she went with a broken spine, but unfortunately not dead. Her head came up, missed. Next shot it was done.
IMG_3181.JPGIMG_3183.JPG
So I could have driven a four wheeler to the cow. Could have driven my truck to within 400 yards. Instead we loaded the packs and hiked 1/2 mile, gaining about 500 feet elevation.
Lessons. IMG_2514.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great account of the young hunter's introduction to the reality of the hunt. Sounds as if he paid attention and did what was necessary. Again, congratulations to Carson.

Awesome Salmonchaser! You have given this young man a very valuable life experience (and education). Thank you!!
Duane

Fantastic Don. Very well done. He was a lucky young man to have you as his teacher. And congratulations to him as well, for his harvest, and for listening

Back