Fun with the 28

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
Susan and I spent the day hunting the Pink Mountain area yesterday.

Lots of hunters and very little big game sign throughout the area. On the Sikanni alone, there were 10 hunting camps on the old airstrip, and we passed 8 more groups of hunters headed in, on our way out. That did not include the other parked vehicles and trailers for the daytrip hunters with atv's and side by sides. Lot of use for just one valley. 2 hunting camps on Pink Mtn. (A bowhunting only zone for caribou)

Did see 15 Stones sheep lambs and ewes on the mountain. Were great too see.
First trip on the mountain in the past few years where did not see any ptarmigan or blue grouse.

Did have "a blast", as Susan said later, coming home with 14 Ruffies.

That Remington 1100 Sporting 28 is such fun to shoot!
Finding ammo can be problematic, as it is not as commonly used. We have found quite a bit at gunshows lately and have a good supply on hand

How many others here use the 28?

I do a 1100 28ga and I have two barrels for it one Imp cylinder the other Full choke. I have not Pheasant hunted with it since my GSP passed. They are a fun gun, I like Trap & Skeet shooting with it as well.
But to get enough use out of it you need to reload for it.

I once had a M1100 20ga that I used to hunt birds until some one wanted it more then me and sold it.

Hate to hear that the mobs have descended on Pink Mountain. That volume of hunters put a lot of pressure on the game. It does sound as if you did well on ruffies! Noah has managed to pick up a few grouse each time we've gone out. He really keeps his eye peeled for sharpies and for blues--they are his favourites.

A buddy of mine just got the Benelli UL28...what a sweet gun!

I'll be guiding a couple that shoot 28s later this month. I remember the first time I met them a couple years ago and saw the 28 gauges come out. I patted the girls and said sorry girls, you're going to have a tuff day running down crippled birds. Shoot, they never had an easier day. Don't own one yet but I love using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold my 28 gauge a couple of years ago. Was a Winchester Model 12 skeet gun. It was a nice shotgun, and I hunted a variety of birds with it. Dove, quail, pheasant, even ducks when I was young.

I do have a fair bit of 28 ga ammo just sitting here taking up space.

Guy

hodgeman":z79378rb said:
A buddy of mine just got the Benelli UL28...what a sweet gun!

Had to look this model up; sweet looking shotgun!

Would be tough to pick between the two different Benelli autos.
Going to have to add one to the wishlist.

Having so much fun with ours, that I am going to have to get another!
Besides, my wife keeps hinting that the Remington is "her gun". LOL

Another fun day with the 28!

Collected spruce grouse, ruffed and a sharptail. A trifecta! (Between Susan and I. Just could not get her on a sharptail) only one we did not see today that inhabits that particular area was the ptarmigan.

Back