Elk Dry Spell Over!

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
I chose Elkeater2 as my posting name because over the years I've consumed my share and love it all. I got the first one, a little raghorn, in 1964. There were some nice 6x6's, a couple freaks, and many just average ones. There was a time when I surveyed and staked mining claims in the mountains for others - including carrying posts on frame packs. Somewhere I have some old pics of me with 1/2 of a spike strapped on - today I have two replaced hips!!
I haven't killed an elk for several years. The older guys on here can relate - we aren't as mobile, health interferes, family issues, lousy weather, kids in sports, ambition and initiative level, hunting friends move, cripple up or pass on. Those are my excuses anyway.
This year with my wife's encouragement, I drew a cow tag in the area where I first began my elk hunting. I could archery hunt all of September, then rifle hunt for the next couple months if necessary. We are blessed to have a cabin there and I was told "Just go until you get something. I'll join you when I can. It used to only take you two or three days, right?" Right.
I outfitted pretty thoroughly including setting up a couple cameras and a blind. Family with kids and dogs came Labor Day and it was great having them there. It seems the elk enjoyed Labor Day weekend as well, because they were out in the full moonlight parading around in front of my cameras. Even some bugling at dusk and dawn. Then it was over for the rest of the month for me anyway. It was hot and dry. I saw two small groups of cows and calves almost before they saw me still hunting. I did have a little forkie muley keeping me company at the blind. Although legal, he wasn't my quarry. I did cover a lot of ground and got in much better shape.

On the 2nd day of rifle season, I walked in the dark to a place where elk have frequented over the years. There is a Y-shaped drainage I call "3-Way" where the elk trade back and forth up and down each fork of the drainage. This is just below timberline with heavy old growth spruce and fir, beetle kill some of it, and downfall. The elk have trails around the heaviest downfall, and there are patches of grass and feed interspersed. The creek bottoms have grasses, willows, and a trickle of water. There are places where the openings are 200 yards across, yet each drainage also has tree growth crossing in several places. Unless truly pressured, the handful of resident elk move around and use all of it.

I got out early and a few minutes before shooting light I came up on the north edge just below the junction of the "Y". The wind was minimal for once and from a good direction. Across the willow bottom creek there was a clear opening with yellow grass leading up to the timber. As it got lighter, I saw five or six dark shapes in that grass which just didn't seem right. Binoculars told me they were elk! My watch told me I could shoot! In the time it took to put the binocs down and bring up the rifle, the elk had walked to the edge of the timber. A couple were standing still, and I double-verified there were no antlers, chose the large broadside one and filled my tag. Tremendous feelings of gratitude, blessings, and I admit, accomplishment.

My wife was at the cabin when I walked in with red hands at 9:00 AM. Hugs and breakfast, then we agreed to hike in on a trail with the fewest obstacles, taking pack frame, pack sacks, game bags, lunch, and a plastic tarp. We figured boning it out was the only way for us feeble old people. The cow was lying on a sidehill only 30 feet or so from level ground. We tugged it onto the tarp and pulled it down the hill. 6 PM before we were in front of the fire, toasting ourselves internally and externally, exhausted, proud, and elated. 200 lbs. of prime fare is now in the large air circulating electric cooler here at home.

Thanks to my friends on the forum - EE2

Attachments

• PICT1539.JPG
    PICT1539.JPG
    773.6 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_2331.JPG
    IMG_2331.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 738
  • IMG_2338.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 738
  • terriknife.jpg
    terriknife.jpg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 738
  • tompack.jpg
    tompack.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 738
Congratulations on a fine hunt. That is a great looking cow. Nice photos. What rifle, cartridge, and bullet did you use?

Dan

Thanks, Europe! Glad you read it...EE2. NYDAN, that's my son's M70 Coyote 7mm WSM, 168 gr. Berger (gulp!) tack driver. About 3100 fps if I remember right.

Terrific story. Well done and congrats!
I believe your wife with her encouragement and help is a keeper too. :grin:

Beautiful inspiring story for us older folks to keep up the hunt.. Congratulations on a fine hunt and enjoy the fine eating. Thanks for sharing and wishing you many more years of good health and much success.

That's the way it is done. Great account of the hunt. We were right there with you. Keep on keeping on.

Thanks all you forum regulars! I've been on so many hunts and riflery experiences with you folks through your writings - I thought I'd try to give one back. Hope it wasn't too much of a novel.... EE2

elkeater2":i6prt31p said:
Thanks all you forum regulars! I've been on so many hunts and riflery experiences with you folks through your writings - I thought I'd try to give one back. Hope it wasn't too much of a novel.... EE2

Just perfect!

I absolutely enjoyed the story behind the hunt and could see what you were describing through your words.

Excellent!! There's almost nothing better than well deserved success when a dry spell ends.

Really enjoyed your story and I relate even more to it oddly enough by the fact that it's a cow elk. More than once I finished the season killing a doe on the last day when I didn't think I was going to get a deer period, and that feeling of gratefullness for the meat, and feeling of accomplishment is much understood.

Congrats again on a deserved accomplishment, and really happy for you.

Thanks for sharing. You are truly blessed - a wonderful wife and a successful hunt.
Congratulations
Duane

Thanks again everyone for your kind words. Yes, I am blessed in many ways...wife is #1. Here are a couple more pics...the dog Charlie doesn't pack BTW.

Attachments

• lastbite2.jpg
    lastbite2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 570
  • packhorse.jpg
    packhorse.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 570
  • tompack3.jpg
    tompack3.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 570
Back