#2 for my niece

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
My 15 year old niece nailed her second Blacktail buck today. One shot with grandpas #1 IMG_2524.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a neat experience for the young huntress. Good looking blacktail.

Congratulations to the young lady and her mentor. Cartridge, bullet & distance?

Dan

Details to follow, unfortunately I was not along on this hunt. I know she was hunting on family property, a little over two sections of timber ground in the coast range mountains. From the photo looks like she was near the old home stead.
Appears to be Pa Pas .22-250.

Congratulations! Nice Deer! How fun to be shooting a family heirloom on the family homestead!

mjcmichigan":1izpf26d said:
Congratulations! Nice Deer! How fun to be shooting a family heirloom on the family homestead!

She is a squirrelly kid but it's not lost on her the ground she hunted was homesteaded by her ancestors before the Civil war. She is the only one of her generation to think the land should be placed in a trust forever.

salmonchaser":2zt1hgsl said:
mjcmichigan":2zt1hgsl said:

She is a squirrelly kid but it's not lost on her the ground she hunted was homesteaded by her ancestors before the Civil war. She is the only one of her generation to think the land should be placed in a trust forever.

Well done! For both of you! A connection to the land is so rare anymore. I hope that she can see her opportunities to be on the family land continue. Great experiences like this one will surely help cement the feeling. Love when those kids smile.... CL

Fantastic!! She looks very happy and she should be. A lot of neat connections to that hunt. Pretty cool deal all the way around.

Please congratulate your niece for me :wink: it is just great that you are investing time with this young lady these seeds will not go wasted (y).

PS. That is a fine looking Buck, I have only eaten Blacktail venison once and it is right at the top of my list of great meat :wink:!

Blessings,
Dan

Dan
I think Blacktail are fine eating as well, particularly those that inhabit the transition zone from farm land to rain forest, like this one. Always better eating then Mule deer. IMHO farm land White tail are the best eating.

ShadeTree":jq7bsffz said:
Fantastic!! She looks very happy and she should be. A lot of neat connections to that hunt. Pretty cool deal all the way around.
IMG_0151.JPG

I've always been fascinated with Oregon history and my family's connection to it.
I found this headstone (family surname) along the Oregon trail three or four years ago.

Back