3 generation WY antelope 2018

Dr. Vette

Handloader
Apr 16, 2012
Dad, me and my son all went antelope hunting SE of Gillette WY last week. As expected, the weather was different every day, with temps from a high of 45 to high of 82. I think we've learned that you can expect temperatures 10 degrees colder than predicted for the week, as well as 10 degrees warmer. That's Wyoming.

Through a friend-of-a-friend we had access to several private ranches and leases. It was a great opportunity to hunt an area that hasn't been hunted in years, and do it on our own with the 3 of us. Most hunting could be done with short hikes, spot-and-stalk, or spotting from the truck and stalking.

Opening day found us with 7 animals including my son and I getting our bucks. In retrospect there were a LOT more bucks in the area than we expected, and we could have held out for larger ones. Getting doe was more difficult as they were grouped in herds and difficult to sneak up on. It took us until the end of the 4th day to get our last antelope. Most of that was due to the fact that our host wanted one particular "mean" antelope removed, and that's the one my Dad got. Turns out that one would charge them and harass them when on horseback, and he was starting to fear for the safety of his children. That one was 8 years old, as our host had been following it all that time.

I used my 7mm Wby with 131gr Hammer bullets, and my son used a Vanguard in 270 Win with 117gr Hammers, though used my 7mm on the last day and is shown with it in the picture below with him and my Dad. Dad used his Vanguard in 270 Win with 150gr Fusion ammo.

Pics of the bucks are below. We didn't get any "hero" pics with the does.

The last day (Friday) we slept in and then went to Devils Tower. It was a nice relaxing end to the trip.

Overall a great time as a 3-generation hunt. We've hunted together here in MI before, but only the second time we've been able to do one as a trip, and the first successful one. We're already looking at options for next year.

Attachments

• Dad and Ryan antelope small.jpg
    Dad and Ryan antelope small.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 473
  • Dad antelope small.jpg
    Dad antelope small.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 473
  • Patrick antelope small.jpg
    Patrick antelope small.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 473
  • Ryan antelope small.jpg
    Ryan antelope small.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 473
  • Devils Tower small.JPG
    Devils Tower small.JPG
    447.8 KB · Views: 473
You did well! Congratulations all the way around. To be certain, WY can be a great state for speed goats.

Congratulations looks like a great hunt. Antelope hunting is just plain fun. Way to go

Congratulations on a great family hunt. I am sure your father, son, and you will all remember this hunt.

Dan

Back