Wyoming 2018

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Mule deer & antelope in the freezer now.

350+ yard 25-06 one-shot kill on a mule deer buck, with the 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded to about 3150 fps via Retumbo. Same combo as usual:
udxbhYdl.jpg

The antelope fell to the 30-06 with a 165 gr Nosler Balllistic Tip loaded to about 2970 fps via H4350, what a great load.

More photos re the antelope later. I'm tired. Drove 15+ hours Weds to get home.

Fotis - sorry - tried calling before leaving Washington on Oct 1st, that didn't work. Then my phone decided to pretty much go to heck during the trip. Couldn't make things happen with it. Our hunt took longer than expected due to the weather. Was a great hunt, and I'm glad I tagged both an antelope and a mule deer buck.

Regards, Guy

Congratulations!
2970 fps in an 30-06 with 165 gr sound pretty fast!
NP

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Guy, Congratulations on a successful hunt. That was good marksmanship to make a one shot kill at 350+ yards. How far away was the antelope?

Dan

Well done Guy! Can't wait to hear the stories. That's a nice looking buck. Congrats!

Congratulations on a successful hunt, Guy. Fine looking deer. You did well.

That baby Whelen can sure do the job, congratulations Guy on a fine hunt :wink: !
Also thank you for the post and photos they are excellent as usual.

Blessings my Friend,
Dan

Great Hunt Guy looking forward to seeing the Antelope Picture, Nice Mule Deer. Well done !!!

For what it's worth that sage brush in the back ground of picture is what I have used many times for a rest, I just put my hat on it and settle my rifle into it and lay prone.

Guy Said-----------

This very average pronghorn was taken at about 250 yards with a 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip from my 30-06, in Wyoming, a few days ago. Hopefully my buddy comes through with better photos, since this is all I've got! This is the exit wound. Entrance was just behind the other front leg.

Backstrap steaks tonight!

Attachments

• ant.jpg
    ant.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 736
Great trip and pictures Guy! Way to go. You need some ideas for more poking around next time give me a shout and I can suggest some.

David

Excellent hunt and shooting Guy! That was a pretty good poke for sure on that mule deer!

Your statement about that being an average pronghorn I'd have to take your word on it. That's one animal that from pictures they all look pretty much the same to me. I couldn't tell the difference between a record class pronghorn and a immature one. But I hear they're pretty tasty.

Congrats on a great hunt!

Those are nice animals Guy! where do you find them big TALL Muleys?!? :) That goat aint bad either. Prongs above the ears, gotta be "14+ any way. In some antelope country that's good. Good shots and if good times were had then all is excellent!

cloverleaf":3mmevdb6 said:
Those are nice animals Guy! where do you find them big TALL Muleys?!? :) That goat aint bad either. Prongs above the ears, gotta be "14+ any way. In some antelope country that's good. Good shots and if good times were had then all is excellent!

Thanks CL & all. The hunt was real good, again. This is my fourth hunt at the same ranch in northeast Wyoming. 2012, 2014, 2016, and now 2018. I'll likely return to go again. Have kind of fallen hard for visiting and hunting the "great plains."

I tried hard for two much more impressive pronghorns but just couldn't get a shot. Honestly, I highly value a "quality shot opportunity." Rather than risking a poor shot. I had one of those antelope bucks in my scope, standing still, but... Not for long. And I wasn't real sure of the range. I was on my own at that point, and didn't entirely trust my laser rangefinder when it finally said that the big antelope was actually within range. He'd been out of my comfortable range for a long time, and when the rangefinder indicated 250 yards... I frankly didn't believe it! So, I didn't shoot. Should have. :grin: That rascal had horns that went way out sideways, only up a little bit, and those horns were thick & long. He'd have been a very interesting and unusual trophy.

Another one that was probably 15 - 15.5" was running around like crazy following a doe that was apparently not quite ready for him. They were well out in a broad meadow with low grass. Moving almost constantly. And moving a LOT. Very difficult to approach. I did make a belly-crawl stalk to get within range, but... Never got a good shot opportunity. Sigh...

So... When I saw this guy, fairly easy to approach, he was preoccupied with two does... I took a very nice, steady, 250 yard shot with the 30-06 using the bipod, and that was that. Onside shoulder had little damage as the bullet hit just behind it. Offside shoulder (in the photo) had more damage, but not as much as one might think. That 165 gr Ballistic Tip expanded, destroyed the lungs, and punched on through as expected. It certainly didn't over-expand, just did the job, quickly. I continue to think highly of that particular bullet.

BTW - this is the second season I've hunted with my newer 6x Leupold, with the 36mm objective lens and the "long range" hashmarks. I'm quite fond of it after a lot of range practice and using it on both deer & antelope now.

Speaking of deer... Weather was going to be a problem. A series of storms were coming through, and vehicles are necessary to hunt the ranch, some of the better hunting areas are separated by miles of dirt roads. When they get wet.... They're pretty much just slick gooey mud and impassable for most 4wd vehicles even with good mud tires. Ask folks in Wyoming and Montana why they carry tire chains even before the snow flies... Mud.

So, we hit a particularly rugged area on my first full day of hunting. I spotted two bucks, good bucks, well out of range. They were on the move. As they disappeared behind a ridge we were able to stalk them, and found they'd bedded down!

I stalked with my hunting buddy, ranged them at about 345 yards. When they stood, I got confused about which buck was which, and made a good shot on the smaller of the two bucks! Sigh... He was probably at about 355 yards. I also didn't compensate enough for the crosswind, and put the little 115 gr Ballistic Tip from my 25-06 too far back! Fortunately it missed the guts! Landed towards the rear of the lungs and didn't have the dramatic instant drop that I like so much. I heard the bullet hit, even in the wind, but then the buck stood there for a moment, I was ready to send another bullet, and then he collapsed dead.

The other buck had a rack so much like this bucks rack only larger, that I think they must be brothers, separated by a year or two. "You shoulda seen the one that got away." Ya, he would have really been something. Very much like this buck, but the antlers were thicker, taller, wider and had much a deeper "V" at each fork. I think that big buck will score well when he's taken.

Meanwhile, I'm just delighted with my mule deer and my pronghorn. Neither was the larger buck I tried for, but both are just fine with me.

Guy

Being able to make a good shot is VERY rewarding. commendations for your self control and for enjoying a great hunt. Antelope don't get much respect... but they can make you humble, and they are so fun to watch! On to pheasants! CL

I took a couple of pronghorn - a 15" buck and a nice doe on a couple of ranches near Kaycee, Wyoming back in 2012. I shot the doe on opening day in 83 degree temperatures. Two days later I shot the buck in 25 degrees, 30 mph winds and blowing snow. I'm hoping to go back to Wyoming for another pronghorn hunt if I can find a place to go. Unfortunately the ranches I hunted on are no longer hosting hunters.

I took a couple of pronghorn - a 15" buck and a nice doe on a couple of ranches near Kaycee, Wyoming back in 2012. I shot the doe on opening day in 83 degree temperatures. Two days later I shot the buck in 25 degrees, 30 mph winds and blowing snow. I'm hoping to go back to Wyoming for another pronghorn hunt if I can find a place to go. Unfortunately the ranches I hunted on are no longer hosting hunters.
I think that for the fall season, I'm staying here in Washington. I've got a couple of trips planned before then, and am just not real excited about the expense of a long drive this fall.

But, I'm not going to abandon trips to Wyoming and other cool places! :)

Guy

Back