Hunting Guide Fatally Mauled by Grizzly

I can’t even imagine that situation much less speculate on what I would do. The bear was on the guide so the client probably felt like he shouldn’t/couldn’t fire. Do you hang around and try to shout the bear off and risk getting killed too? I have no grizz experience or training so I don’t want to armchair quarterback the situation.

Devastating situation. A wife and five kids are left behind. That client will wonder the rest of his life if he did the right thing. I kinda think he took his only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience with Bears but I would never leave a fellow comrade in a life or death situation to fend for him self alone, just not how I role.

I was alerted to this thread and ask to respond as I do have some experience with bears.

First and foremost, my heart and prayers go out to the family of the guide. Very sad for them. May God bless them and comfort them

Secondly I was not there obviously but in quickly reading the news releases, I agree with Dr Mike, some of the story that was filed by the reporters dont add up for me.

No mention of a rifle, which I would have had with me, if I was looking for an Elk that had been wounded and was possibly dead for 24 hours in bear country.

Conflicting reports about the second bear. One report said it didn't attack, so after the client was injured by the attacking bear and then turned to attack the guide, the attacking bear should have been shot, right then, if not before.

According to the reporting---He "went" to get the pistol. I would have had it on me. Plus the handgun has not been found ?

I would have shot the bear, even both bears, if necessary and would have done so, even if it was already on top of a fellow hunter, and have. The only way the bear could have gotten my rifle and/or handgun away from me is if I was dead. Like Dr Mike says throwing the handgun to him doesn't make much sense. I would have shot both bears, attended to his wounds to stop the bleeding and called for help or carried him to help.

One never really knows what goes through the mind of another during an emergency.
It is obvious that the Florida hunter is not familiar with bears and what to do in the event of a charge and/or attack. Also seems to be unfamiliar in the use of a handgun.
I too question the actions of the guide; why try to recover an elk obviously taken by bear(s) and where was his rifle? I guess we will/may never really know for sure.

I pray for the guides family. I pray for the client. He’s never going to be right with that hanging over his head.

Maybe I’m paranoid, but I’d have two hand guns on me to back up my rifle.

I don’t understand how he couldn’t get a shot/kill shot on the bear.

I’m assuming the handgun belonged to the guide.

The whole scenario is weird, and tragic at the same time.

This is so very sad. My prayers and sympathy go our to the guides family--very tragic

As far as the what we know from the articles, I agree with Dr Mike and others that something seems "off" about this incident, at least in my mind. I can not imagine not being armed or not shooting the bear --especially when he was attacking a hunting partner.

But regardless, very sad.

Very sad situation, simply tragic. Why a guide would pursue trying to recover a kill claimed by a bear is beyond imagination. That's a "so sorry about your elk, but we're leaving now" situation.

It's hard to speculate about the actions of others. I'm not sure about Wyoming, but in many places you can't have a rifle (or handgun) during bow season- even for a guide. That doesn't make a lick of sense in grizzly country though- but such laws frequently don't.

After being involved in a few grizzly encounters, bears frequently elicit a fear response from people that simply doesn't make logical sense. I'm of the opinion that being around a large predator, especially the first few times or in surprise encounters, triggers some deep seated biological trigger that folks aren't completely in control of. It's one of the reasons I favor hunting open country- it slows everything down to more manageable chunks than a bear suddenly appearing at bayonet range.

My first surprise grizzly encounter ended up with me doing the absolute worst thing- I ran, even though armed...and I even knew better too. It was just a reaction that I wasn't fully in control of. The whole thing didn't last 30 seconds and I have very little memory of the event other than a griz's back suddenly appearing over the thick willows 10 yards away followed by a "huff" of a grumpy bear. It didn't dawn on me to even draw the .44 I had on my belt. Lucky for me the startled bear ran the opposite direction than I did.

I've talked to several people who ended up cycling rifles through an entire magazine and never fired a shot- and didn't know it until several minutes afterward. Large predators just make people do things that in retrospect don't make any sense, even people who have good options available. Several years ago, a guy got charged by a bear on the Russian river- he threw his shotgun in the water and tried to swim away.

Among my hunting partners, we have a "shoot first" policy regarding bears at close range...and I hope at least one of us has our wits about us enough to make it happen should we be so unlucky. The explosive power of a grizzly is just unbelievable to folks who haven't witnessed it first hand.

you guys, I dont want this thread to slide into oblivion until more have seen it.

Also, those who have posted above who have lived around and hunted the big bears ( grizzly and polar ), make excellent comments. Hodgeman brought up some other points that should be considered and any of you who may be hunting where these bears live should read or re-read his post. ( if you dont live in the same area and are knowledgable about the big bears already )

1. The point about rifles and bow hunting--I bet those who are now looking for this bear are carrying rifles, even if it is bow season.
2. If the bear has taken possession of your kill, again Hodgeman is spot on--walk away!
3. Be BEAR AWARE before you leave home, especially those who have zero bear experience, as like Hodgeman, I have also seen men, throw their rifles down and run when confronted by a Polar bear and/or Grizzly. We actually prepare for this, regardless of the bravado shown from the guest before the hunt.
4. Shoot the bear! I dont care if you lose your license, rifle, are fined, whatever after the investigation of a protection of a life and property kill and if it is like the situation that was posted in the article that Dr Mike posted, you wont. I would prefer to be alive so as to state my case than not!
5. Also, I have been attacked by Black Bears and Black Bears are in some of your areas--Be Bear Aware

I know I will catch flake for being a young Indian girl form the north lecturing grown men who are knowledgeable hunters, but I have friends on this forum that I prefer not to lose to a bear, please reread Hodgemans post an then prepare --mentally-- if hunting where the big bears live

Thankful Otter":2rici0ni said:
5. Also, I have been attacked by Black Bears and Black Bears are in some of your areas--Be Bear Aware

You bring up a great point! People tend to view black bears as non-dangerous and it's not unusual to see folks have sort of a "aww isn't it cute" response to them.

My scariest bear encounter involved a black bear on a bike trail in Anchorage of all places. We were actively stalked for a mile in a group of 4 or 5 people (no one had a gun BTW, that was stupid). The area biologist shot it the next morning as it tried to climb in the passenger window of his pickup. That bear was going to kill a person eventually, in town.

While black bears typically flee when they encounter people, it's not a response you can count on. I've known several people who were jumped by grizzlies, got beat up and the bear left. I've known 2 people who were killed by black bears in a predatory attack. If a black bear is messing with you- it's cause he wants to eat you. You probably ought to shoot first and figure everything else on the back end.

I don't want to come off as paranoid about bears- I enjoy them, but there's a certain distance and behavior that's required to get along with them and sometimes that means yielding some space they need.

Thankful Otter and Hodgeman, thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge. This type of information, experience sharing, is invaluable. This could, in all probability, save our life and or save a life of one of our family members and/or friends...hunting, fishing, hiking, or biking.
Blessings,
Duane

hodgeman":1icl9qit said:
Thankful Otter":1icl9qit said:

I don't want to come off as paranoid about bears- I enjoy them, but there's a certain distance and behavior that's required to get along with them and sometimes that means yielding some space they need.

Same here. It's easy to come across as some sort of shooting-crazed person, paranoid of bears.

I LIKE BEARS! They're cool to watch. Interesting animals. I like watching them, photographing them, I like hunting them too.

And yes, I'm careful around them, and urge others to be careful also. Normally, they're not a problem. Normally. But just look at the basics: Who's stronger? Who is more likely to "win" a fight, an unarmed person, or a bear? They come with big muscles, big teeth and big claws... We come with... Well, not much until we arm ourselves somehow.

Be careful out there folks...

I get guys who tell me "Well, don't camp in bear country." Gee - that eliminates pretty much everywhere out west that has a forest. No, sorry, been camping, fishing, hiking, & hunting all my life. Not stopping now. No bear has eaten me yet. It may happen someday, but unlikely. I'm happy when I see bears, usually. And haven't had to fight for survival against one yet. I hope that continues.

Can you imagine how awful it would be, to see a family member or a friend, or anyone, attacked by a bear? And... not be able to do much about it?

No thanks. Bear spray and a suitable firearm. Yup. (y)

'Cause I want the outcome to be determined by me, not by the bear.

It was interesting, camping in Canada, without my handgun. I almost always have a powerful handgun with me. But, not in Canada. More bears. No handgun. I hiked with my bear spray, and had my rifle in camp. In more remote areas, I'd have had the rifle with me too. It's easy to get a temporary Canadian firearms license at the border.

Regards, Guy

Great comments. I appreciate the black bear warning. Cheyenne you are right. I’d rather argue my case first person vs letting the coroner write it up!

I’ve killed a few bears, and seems a few more, but that probably makes me over confident.

The Black Bear that stalked a group,,,had a meal in mind...

I haven’t been serious stalked yet..

all you folks who live with bears--thank you, great comments

I have only hunted black bears. Have seen Grizzlies on two occasions and one definitely made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. The only polar bear I was near was when I was viewing them from a high truck, but I definitely would not want to meet one of them out on a ice field with nothing but them and I around for miles.

you guys in the north----Hodgeman, Bear, Dr Mike, Gil, Cheyenne ---I have the utmost respect for you folks who never know when a grizzly or polar might show up, you guys must have nerves of steel in addition to "bear smarts"

I have been stalked by black bears and I've had some very close (close enough to touch with my rifle barrel) when working thick bush. I respect them. It is correct that if a black bear stalks you, it intends to feed. It is the mark of wisdom to respect their power and keep them at a distance.

Gosh wonder how many have heard about the young fella from Ok that was fresh up to Alaska that got attacked and eaten last week up in SE........ Admiralty Isle Horrible mess, Sow n 2 cubs. :|

35 Whelen":2au9ud5p said:
Gosh wonder how many have heard about the young fella from Ok that was fresh up to Alaska that got attacked and eaten last week up in SE........ Admiralty Isle Horrible mess, Sow n 2 cubs. :|

Earle was this a black or brown bear attack ?

Bean bags? Are they supposed to throw them?

Sounds like a potential lawsuit.

Back