Deer Tracks

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I found a "few" deer tracks today. Looked like a dairy farm barn yard....

Deer Sign.JPG

Yes, an apple tree in the middle of a small steep field that I brush hog to keep open.

Seems to me a down wind stand would be in order. Good luck converting those tracks into edible portions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, at least those deer have good taste! And they'll likely taste good. (y)

NYDAN:
I have a small apple tree in my lower yard the deer pruned last winter and this summer they cleaned every apple off of it before they even matured.
I've had a family around for the past few years that bed down in a fence row I left grow and the other day a large Buck was wondering around the fence of my garden but didn't attempt to jump the 5ft fence.
The weather has change and they are very active since there has been frost the past couple of nights.

salmonchaser":1oxe9v6p said:
Seems to me a down wind stand would be in order. Good luck converting those tracks into edible portions.

I have a stand (the "gully stand") just a little further uphill and a little east from that apple tree that covers a very large area including other apple trees, a pear tree, and a food plot. Then there is another stand (the "steel tower stand") all the way up on top of the hill. For the first time this fall, I went up on the gully stand about 4:15 PM to see what I would see.

All together I saw 17 different does and fawns. Six came from the apple tree in the photo, hit the pear tree and were headed for another apple tree when a sudden wind change busted me. Those six deer ran off to the south. Three more groups totaling 11 deer came in from the north and west and were in sight until dark. I was happy to see deer walking and feeding within bow range of the steel tower stand. I was a little surprised to see so many deer on the hill when there is corn in the valley.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't see any bucks but I am sure that will change once the rut heats up. Then I will make use of the steel tower stand during cross bow season.

Dan

Old homesteads are awesome. I've shot bear and deer near old, long-abandoned orchards.

Found a huge covey of quail at an old homestead last winter. I'll be back there soon... :)

Guy

Back