1st Elk

TDMVA

Beginner
Apr 18, 2016
I just returned from my 1st elk hunt. I went with Wapiti Ridge out of Cody, Wyoming. We hunted for 7 days on the South Fork of the Shoshone River in the Washakie Wilderness. The experience far surpassed my expectations despite the slow hunting. The weather just isn't here yet to push the big herds through their migration. Regardless the guys got the job done and it was a great success.

Thanks to all of your that replied with advice, tips, etc. as I got ready. Most of those were in relation to my optics that were giving me fits. Luckily I stuck with the Leica and couldn't be happier with it.

Rifle: Nosler M48 Liberty in 280AI
Bullet: Nosler 150gr AccuBond LR
Distance: 300 yards
Double lung kill shot and didn't walk two steps.

Excellent specimen. Congratulations on a great hunt and the success you enjoyed. Glad to see that the rifle and ammunition was up to the task.

Congratulations !!!!

I can not tell you the memories that washed over me seeing someone hunting via horseback--good for you.

Very nice all the way around!! Good shooting, great pictures, fantastic cartridge, and a really good bull. Very good! Congratulations!

That is an outstanding bull, first or last he's outstanding. I'm envious you were able to get horses to him. You missed the best part of the whole experience (y)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69gto":2eymwxml said:
Very nice bull! did the AccuBond long range bullet exit?

Sure did. We did the gutless method to clean it so I couldn't get a look at the lungs. Last year when I got this rifle it devastated two whitetails as well. Pass through shots on those too. But yes the bullet went through.

The story is hard to believe but I'll share it with you just to prove the bullets effectiveness. We were sitting on a rock face about 400-500' above the river watching the elk filter through a funnel down to the river bed. They had no idea we were there. It was an amazing spot.

Long story short I was playing backup to a friend because he won the coin toss to shoot first that day (we were on a 2/1 guided hunt). He was laying prone and had this bull dead to rights at 225 yards as it came through the willows on the river bed. He had his scope dialed to 20 and was waiting for a good shot. For 30 minutes it thrashed willows and wouldn't step out or present a broadside shot. My rifle was laying on my pack about 2' to my friends right loaded and ready to go in the event I had to back him up. The agreement was if he hit it he would put a second round in if necessary. If it were a clean miss I would be free to shoot so the bull didn't get away.

A shot from up river boomed from another hunter somewhere and the bull and his herd took off (running from our left to right). My buddy shot hurriedly and it was a clean miss. He then yelled he couldn't find it in the scope (because he was dialed in so much). I was sitting on a rock behind his feet to video his hunt approximately 4 to 6' away from my rifle. I quickly dropped my phone and ran to my rifle. I was standing as I picked my rifle up. From a freehand position I found the elk (scope was on 2 power), found the shoulder, put the crosshairs on it and let it fly. I hit just behind the shoulder penetrating both lungs.

The bull stopped dead in his tracks from a full run. I racked another round in and hit him again and he fell over dead as a hammer. I ranged him at 300 yards as he lay dead. I'm certain the first shot was lethal but everyone told me shoot until they fall. I turned to the guide and asked what the heck just happened! It was unbelievable. My buddy was laying on the ground in disbelief. I was standing there in disbelief. The guide gave me a wink of approval as he didn't want to celebrate too much considering one guy was crushed and I was ecstatic.

Needless to say my experience with the AccuBond Long Range on deer last year and now this elk is encouraging. It's proven to be a deadly combination in this Liberty rifle.

I have great confidence in the AccuBond for elk, they just seem to work every time. I've had elk with their hearts shot out run for 200 yards, absolutely keep shooting if they are on their feet. I'd rather loose a couple pounds of meat then a whole elk.
Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You did very well, indeed. Too bad that your buddy missed; but you made the shot when the pressure was on. Excellent account of a great hunt.

Congratulations on some good shooting. That is a great looking elk. You did very well.

Dan

I think there is a moral in this story something about scope power and use.

Congrats on doing a great job getting a great elk.

That is some great marksmanship and your friend learned that 20 power is way too much for a 200 yd. shot.

Back