Dogs n birds

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Spent the weekend guiding for birds. The hunters shot well but the dogs were a little loose, their first work of the season. Thankfully they settled down and for the most part hunted well.
One of the gals in the group competes and judges hunt test and field trials. She described my dogs as unorthodox but effective. Her husband said my dogs like hunters to kill the birds. IMG_2588.JPG
Classic example, clients dog found this bird. Molly honored the point. The bird ran off, Molly broke point circled around and came back towards Lucy.
IMG_2599.JPG
Molly honoring on what turned out to be 25 or so Chukar.
Sugar was a little too rangy. She held this point, quail, for at least 10 minutes until we caught up to her. She took a little pressure over the weekend but started behaving less like a field trial dog and more like a hunter.IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_2577.JPG
As often as not Molly will be pointing back towards the hunters on running pheasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving this! :grin:

I like that "unorthodox but effective." Wonder if that lady had actually hunted much, or just judged field trials? Who knows?

Love seeing the photos of the dogs & birds...

You have flat-land chukar? I've heard stories of those. Thought they were myths... :wink:

We seem to have the breed of chukar which was somehow crossed with mountain goat...

Guy

Dogs at work are such a sight!
Our 'Grosser Münserländer' chased her first winged duck on a pond with 10 months and she was fixed.
Saw her diving after a goose later!
Love to take her out for birds and small game and I really enjoy shotgun-hunting

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Just finished our season yesterday, avg woodcock this year and good grouse numbers. Lots of wonderful memorys and super dog work.20181006_093435~3.jpgIMG_4430.jpgIMG_0255~2.jpgIMG_0200_01.jpgIMG_0237_01~2.jpgIMG_20181027_111741_01.jpg

Most of my upland bird hunting with dogs was at hunting preserves but it was a joy to hunt over a good pointing dog. When my son was a teenager, his birthday gift from me for a few years was a guided pheasant hunt at a preserve. In those day we were avid skeet shooters so very few birds escaped once they flushed. We would take turns walking in for the flush with one designated shooter. It was great.

One friend of mine had a lab we used when goose hunting on my pond. The dog would retrieve the geese that John shot but not mine. If I shot a bird, the most the dog would do, if the bird was on the ground (vs in the water) would be to go and sit by the goose.

One morning we had a wounded goose on the water and the dog was swimming after it. As the dog got close, the goose dove and never came back up. The poor dog swam around in circles for about five minutes before John called her back in. Although I had heard stories of ducks and geese diving, grabbing onto something under water and then never resurfacing, I just thought those were "stories". Then I saw it myself. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it.

I have to take my hat off to people with good trained hunting dogs. It takes a lot of dedication, patience, and work to train a good dog. Congratulations to all of you who do that.

Dan

Here is from our last time out :wink:.
This my 6 month old Flat-coat :mrgreen:.
Kona is a little fire cracker, she loves to be in the field (y)

Blessings,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 379
You guys are killing Me as my Wife said I can not get another dog till I retire. I head to Western Iowa the 14th of Nov. for a week of Pheasant hunting and Waterfowl.

You guys have some nice looking dogs.

sask boy":2fgy7ws7 said:
Here is from our last time out :wink:.
This my 6 month old Flat-coat :mrgreen:.
Kona is a little fire cracker, she loves to be in the field (y)

Blessings,
Dan

Are these pics near Regina? Never been there but rolling hill wheatfields, looks eerily similar to eastern Washington State?

Good pictures and hunts. Always like seeing good hunting dogs no matter the breed. Good to hear the grouse numbers are flourishing up North.

Guy Miner":3qkfvep2 said:
Loving this! :grin:

I like that "unorthodox but effective." Wonder if that lady had actually hunted much, or just judged field trials? Who knows?

Love seeing the photos of the dogs & birds...

You have flat-land chukar? I've heard stories of those. Thought they were myths... :wink:

We seem to have the breed of chukar which was somehow crossed with mountain goat...

Guy
Guy I feel your pain. I've been hunting Chukar in Hells canyon and Steens Mountain since I was 12 years old. I have also spent quite a bit of time in the Columbia river breaks near you. That equates to 1 year of Chukar hunting for the challenge and 52 years hunting for revenge.
In high school I ran the mile in the low fours, I wrestled in college, we ran a two mile for time every week. My summer job was logging in those days. I could run a brace of Shorthairs into the ground then. I think that was the last time I loved Chukar hunting.
In any event, just off the picture is what amounts to the Umatilla river canyon. Not much compared to what you and Clark hunt, but it provides habitat. First thing in the morning and late in the afternoon the birds will be up in the wheat and sorghum. Always elicits a maniacal laugh when I think the dogs have found Chukar on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palouser, we do not have many rolling hill here but where we hunt upland is south almost on the US boarder about 90 miles north and a little east of Plentywood Montana.
It is about 90 mile straight south of Regina we are in the heartland of the Prairies (y).
It has been said many times by people from British Columbia that looking west of Regina you can watch your Dog leave home for 2 days :roll:!! :mrgreen: .

Blessings,
Dan

Back