Bull down

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Had a bit of luck this morning. Hiked in about 11/2 miles, dropped about 1,000 feet in the process. Slid down a side ridge a couple hundred yards and planted my butt on a rock. I had a series of basins I could watch, from point blank to out further than I would shoot. Windy as hell, rain, fog and snow tormented me.
Just a few minutes after legal shooting light I needed to get rid of the extra cup of coffee I drank.
I stood up and immediately saw elk in a blind spot to my sitting position. Forgetting the task at hand I snatched up my rifle, found the elk, angling away.
The crosshairs settled high on the shoulder of the bull and I tapped the trigger. He jumped hard and was gone over the ridge. A minute or two later the cows appeared. They milled around for a bit, the bull never showed.
I ranged the spot at 300. Ugh, that's a pretty good poke off hand. Hadn't even thought about the wind, I was sheltered but it was blowing hard out where the elk were. Crud, probably shot him in the butt.
I gathered my kit and hustled out to where the bull had disappeared. I peaked over the ridge, eased up a little more and started glassing. Spotted him in a hump about 60 yards away, done.
Got to him and found I had hit him behind the ribs, angled forward and out through the off side shoulder.
IMG_2605.JPGIMG_2608.JPG
Got him quartered and headed up to the trail at about nine, to go fetch my pack frame. When I hit the trail there was a guy there with a couple of mules. Said he was looking for a guy who swore he was on my trail, but he's not.
He offered to pack my elk, since he was there. I only had 60 bucks in my wallet.
Done deal, mules walk right to the elk, 10 minutes and we are loaded. I had to hustle keeping up on the way out.
Instead of two days packing I was in the truck, called Bill to brag on my good fortune by noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stats:
338 Jarrett; Remington 700 Action; PacNor barrel, Whyats magazine box, stock is a Kevlar composite made by Blagg rifles in Pendleton.
VX5 3x15x44. Shot was taken on 3 power, 200 yard zero.
Nosler 8mm Remington mag Brass, fire formed to 338 Jarrett.
86 gr. Reloader 26
250 gr. Nosler AccuBond
Coal. 3.74
2950 FPS.
Through and through again.
Meat weighed in at 235lbs

Excellent all the way around! Good hunting, good shooting, and results.

Good fortune indeed for running into the gent with the mules. That saved a whole lot of work and trips!

Nice and excellent shot, that's the same bullet and velocity that my 340WBY is shooting. I am loading 87g RL 26.

Congratulations on a good hunt and a fine shot. You did well. Plus you got very lucky with the mules. Sounds like a great day all around.

Dan

Congratulations! That's the way to do it! Some fine dining in store, that's for sure.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Doesn't hurt when the stars are aligned and a little gift from above comes along either. In this case, the fellow on the wrong trail with some mules!

EXCELLENT!

Great shooting, and even better luck coming up with mules! :)

Guy

Guy Miner":1j60xpl8 said:
EXCELLENT!

Great shooting, and even better luck coming up with mules! :)

Guy
I'm sure you noted the rifle carried a proper sling.

Congratulations on a nice Elk & you know the big guy was smiling as he gave you access to a fairly easy take out service :mrgreen:.
There is definitely some fine table fare there (y).
Thank you for the post & photos.

Blessings,
Dan

You know you're right Dan. I figured I might be due some good karma after letting Aj shoot that 350 bull in Colorado. I get my spike most years so didn't really see getting him as good Karma. While getting him cut up I was thinking good Karma would have been getting one a little closer to the truck.
Then finding the guy with the mules, well I did say a little prayer of thanks.

Great looking bull and impressive shooting. I could never get that lucky to come across a guy with mules to pack my elk out. Seems like the whole day was meant to be.

The hunting gods certainly were with you on this one! Talk
about things just coming together! Good for you..... (y)
E

Back