Tennessee Rifle for Deer opens tomorrow

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
My season starts tomorrow. 8) I haven't seen the quality buck on my cams, as in years past, this year. Also noticed there are not any acorns this year either for some reason. We normally have a bumper crop in our area. The rut seems to be running late here as well. Just starting to see scrapes and rubs.

The good news is I'll be carrying the 35 Whelen tomorrow. :wink: Will be getting the 30-06 out little later. My Daughter, who is a missionary to Italy, is home and will be Deer Hunting with me in a week!
I'm so excited for her to hunt with me again, it's been 2-years. In 2014 we both killed 8-points in 5-minutes from same tree stand. :mrgreen: It would be cool to see her get a buck again!

Don

We'll definitely be pulling for both you and your daughter to tag a fine deer. Either cartridge will do the job, that's for sure.

Good deal. Anticipation of hunting season and the good times that come with it is something that doesn't get old. Wishing both of you much success.

Update,
I was able to get an 8-Point buck this morning with the 35-Whelen. Sweet!! Got some venison for the table. 8)

Don

DON":2dsmo1pr said:
Update,
I was able to get an 8-Point buck this morning with the 35-Whelen. Sweet!! Got some venison for the table. 8)

Don

Nice! That has to make you feel good! Story and pictures? (y)

Well, I can only imagine that the Whelen put a genuine smack down on that deer. Congratulations.

No pics taken on this deer to share. I'm still out there hunting so maybe later. But the story on this one is......... 70 yard shot with 35 Whelen, 225 Partition, double lung shot, exit broke the far side due to angle from tree stand. Shot was taken on top of the ridge, he ran over the ridge and died in the deepest ravine I've ever seen here!! :shock: Needless to say I was disgusted about the extraction. Even with the deer cart I bought, I was pulling cart with one hand, grabbing onto trees with the other just attempting to get him out!

Made my mind up, getting a 4-wheeler till next season with a wench. Actually it would not have been real easy with that either without chopping down some brush and saplings.

Anyway, I got him and I will eat him real slow :lol:

Don

Back