Fresh Cougar Kill (Graphic)

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
I was driving out to our farm two days ago and a deer carcass caught my eye in the ditch on the way, almost at the end of the road about a quarter to half mile from our farm entrance. This is on a dead end gravel road miles from a highway with only one older lady living at the end of the gravel road. Very few cars travel this road daily, sometimes none. The boned out ribs of a deer caught my eye on the way by and as there was a deer season open recently, I didn't think anything of it other that it was an unusual place for a hunter to drop the carcass. Hunters will sometimes drop a boned out carcass on the other side of the road as there is a more natural drop off into a ravine.

On the second or third pass I stopped to look at it and realized that it was an doe that might have been hit by a car and eaten by coyotes over the night. After looking the deer over, I noticed a blood spot on the deer's jaw/throat as well as blood coming out of the mouth. I probed around the blood spot and found a wide tear in the hide, as well as a deep puncture wound deep enough to fit my pinky in to the knuckle, in the muscle below. As I looked closer, I realized that this was most likely a fresh cougar kill (I live in farm country in Eastern Washington and nobody ever sees cougars here and very few even know they live where we live). It was immediately apparent this came from up hill so I decided to investigate further. A 4 barb, barb wire fence sits atop a steep 10' bank directly above where I found the doe. After looking the barb wire fence over, I noticed that there was blood all over the top wire of the 4 barb fence, approximately 3.5 feet off the ground. It was eerie that no hair caught any of the barbs on the top wire. Whatever killed this doe, picked her up and jumped cleanly over a 4 barb fence.

From there, it was easy to follow the blood/hair trail into a thicket. Every couple feet there were clumps of hair and drops of blood going approximately 50 yards up into the thicket up until a natural bedding area. As I followed this trail of hair and blood, I had to be on my hands and knees as it was not tall enough for me to stand, only hunched over. Eventually, the blood and hair stopped at a natural bedding area with a couple approaches into the bedding area. On the way back out, I noticed (but have no idea why I didn't get a picture) a drop of clear fluid on a leaf next to a drop of blood. I can only guess this was saliva dripping out of the cougars mouth as it was carrying it. I so regret not getting a picture of it.

From what I can gather from the scene and my limited knowledge of cougars and their behavior, sometime the night before, a cougar stalked this mule deer doe, caught her in her bed and suffocated her by her throat, then walked down the thicket to the fence, hopped the fence then ate her while perched above the county road. It either slid down the bank during the middle of eating or possibly was drug down by coyotes after the cougar left. When I found the deer, the soft tissue was still fresh and soft, and the blood still very fresh. The deer was almost completely consumed with only a little neck meat still on the neck of the doe. All the bones were stripped clean as was all of the organs with the exception of the stomach and its cud.

It was powerful to witness the efficiency and brutality of such an animal. The cougar was doing exactly what it was bred and has evolved to do; to keep the mule deer population in check. We have an over abundance of does on our farm which routinely hurt/destroy some of the crops we grow, so as hard as nature is, this cougar may ultimately have been helping us. I am in awe of such an apex predator, so cunning and elusive that very few people even know that they live among us. I have included a few pictures from last February when I walked out the dirt canyon road, about a mile past this kill, looking for coyotes to thin during lambing season and came across this cougar track.

Attachments

• IMG_8766.jpg
    IMG_8766.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 650
  • IMG_8768.jpg
    IMG_8768.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 650
  • IMG_8769.jpg
    IMG_8769.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 650
  • IMG_8773.jpg
    IMG_8773.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_8775.jpg
    IMG_8775.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 650
  • IMG_8776.jpg
    IMG_8776.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 650
More pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_8779.jpg
    IMG_8779.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_8786.jpg
    IMG_8786.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_8782.jpg
    IMG_8782.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 645
  • IMG_8789.jpg
    IMG_8789.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 645
  • IMG_8790.jpg
    IMG_8790.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 645
I think you've figured out your "crime scene" very well.

Have a cougar tag?

Guy

Excellent tutorial. Yeah, cougars have a place in nature. Not everyone understands or appreciates their efficiency, but it is awesome to witness.

hunter24605":jd8k3zvc said:
Yes, the big cats are quite spectacular. I wish we had a population around here. As long as I've been alive there have been "sightings" but nothing verifiable and the state says the Eastern cougar hasn't existed here since 1877. I was reading this a few days ago.
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/outdo...cle_9c0ba634-9554-523f-8dd6-742c2eb7b632.html
Well I know that there was one just across the Potomac river from Barryville back about 1998 since I saw it and MD DNR tried to catch it and her cubs that were living off the white tail at a electric generation plant. I had her in the head lights of my patrol vehicle one night while she stood at the security office door.
We use to find deer carcasses all the time where she had killed them to feed her cubs.
Never did see her in day light so I didn't get any pictures though I tried.

hunter24605":3sxw6xmd said:
Yes, the big cats are quite spectacular. I wish we had a population around here. As long as I've been alive there have been "sightings" but nothing verifiable and the state says the Eastern cougar hasn't existed here since 1877. I was reading this a few days ago.
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/outdo...cle_9c0ba634-9554-523f-8dd6-742c2eb7b632.html

That is pretty fascinating. For sure, the western relatives will move in if there is opportunity to expand their territory. Man, they are just like city folk wanting to move into the beauty of nature. :mrgreen:

Back