Study re grizzly, polar & black bears

our friend contacted me and ask that I respond to guys thread

Guy, I have no idea what article your talking about but the Polar has always been in the Hudson Bay area, as has the Black bears. It is the grizzly that has expanded its range and has done so in several areas----ie--grolars or prizzies that I have spoken of in the past. I dont know what "angle" the article is pitching but I am sure it is climate, food sources or polar bear numbers decreasing. It seems everybody, now that the polar numbers are up and increasing are looking for ways not to authorize more trophy hunts for the polar.

So grizzly Expand North when its Warner. Polar Bear expand south when it colder. Black bear go where their true Omnivore Diet is sustained.

baltz526":6en4cvur said:
So grizzly Expand North when its Warner. Polar Bear expand south when it colder. Black bear go where their true Omnivore Diet is sustained.

Appropriate assessment of the observation.

Given that the particular region is bordering on all three species of bears' ranges, it is not surprising that they are all being seen there. Manitoba, and Hudson's Bay) is probably the best place in north america where this has the highest likelihood of occurring.
While there are several accounts of polar and grizzly bears mating and producing hybrid "grolar" bears, in most cases, throughout the rest of the year (not mating season), like most other competing predators, the weaker speecies does not fare well, and is killed (such as the eternal conflict between lions, hyenas and leopards often documented in Africa).
My Dad has told me stories of when he has witnessed grizzlies killing black bears. Sometimes they eat the black bear, but not always. He said the one large grizzly grabbed a 6' black bear and shook it like a dog killing a rat. Was quite the spectacle according to him. He said that grizzly stalked and caught that black bear quite easily. The black bear never had a chance.
A recent thread on this forum had the link to the video of the grizzly digging out the black bear sow and cubs from their den, and the one cub being caught and killed in the woods (by the account of the sound bite [no pun intended]).

An interesting study from the folks up at UAF noted that the expansion of interior grizzly bears into "new" areas were predicated on the expansion of the arctic ground squirrel into that area as well.

No squirrels meant no grizzlies. I found that pretty interesting.

Back