what's your style ?

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
reading some of the replies on another thread has me curious , what style of hunting do you use ? is it your preferred method , or is it what you need to use due to other circumstances ?

I'm sure different areas , and hunting regulations , will have a big effect on this . I've hunted deer many different ways , and all my hunting has been fair chase , mostly on public ground . I only hunt public ground in Pa . I've still hunted , by sneaking very slow and watching for a deer that is laying tight , or jumping up to run away . I didn't have much luck hunting like this . although I know I was moving to fast , I wanted to cover ground . I haven't hunted this way since Pa has put antler restrictions on the bucks . another problem is Pa is heavily hunted . if I jump up a deer during rifle season he would most likely get in front of another hunter before I would have an opportunity . I've hunted using deer drives . again , I haven't hunted like this for years , it's hard to count points on a moving deer . silent drives where the drivers would walk through trying to push the deer out to the watchers . by being silent the deer don't run through as fast as when using a noisy drive, they usually walk on a silent drive . we even used silent drives when archery hunting . noisy drives are when the drivers would yell , bark like a dog , talk loud , bang on pots or pans , blow whistles , what ever it took to get the deer up and moving . usually the deer would run as fast as they could to get out of there . the problem was the deer knew exactly where the drivers were , because of the noise they were making , and the deer would turn and run back between the drivers . stand hunting , just getting into my spot and staying for the day , or however long it takes . I'm usually in a tree stand , I prefer being up where I can see a little better than if I was on the ground . this has been the most productive way for me to hunt deer .in Pa I have spent a lot of time before season scouting to know where I want to spend my time . in other states I've either hunted there before , told to go there , or my gut says this is a good spot to spend some time . I feel it works well because I'm in and quiet before daylight , and I usually won't get out of the stand until after dark . the deer naturally use this area for one reason , or another . the other hunters that get to moving around will help push deer through my spot . when I see a deer I have a better chance of getting a count on antler points to meet Pa's requirements .
so let's hear it Fellas , how do you hunt ?

Around here (SW-VA and WV), thanks to the terrain and dense cover, we tend to stand hunt. Setting up between feeding and bedding areas. This is productive if you've done your scouting and are willing to sit, sometimes hours on end, just waiting. On public land I like to be on known escape routes into thick cover and setup knowing someone will bump deer my way. Usually just at sunup and again around lunch when a lot of guys head back to the truck/camp. I've tried still hunting these areas, but usually all I end up seeing is a$$'s and antlers jumping up and taking off..The large pastures along the river bottoms offer chances to spot and stalk, and I think that's my favorite way to hunt.

Up here it's pretty much all spot and stalk.

Spot the critter through optics and then stalk in to set up a shooting opportunity. Sometimes we'll sit up high and glass a travel corridor for migrating caribou- we still usually have to stalk them to the final shooting distance.

I like spot and stalk and rattling them in. I have a hard time sitting still for very long so rattling works as it let's me move around. I've always wanted to try to track one down in the snow but haven't had the opportunity to do so yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Michigan is tough for spot and stalk. Like PA, if you bump a deer you can bet another hunter will says thank you for the drive and thump him. Worse case, you piss off another hunter who .. never mind.

So generally stationary on a game trail or over bait.

For birds we can spot and stalk(turkey)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've still hunted in the Cariboo Region and in coastal regions of BC. Here in the north, it is primarily spot and stalk. I hunted from a stand only one time, and it was very successful for me as I tagged one of the largest mule deer I've ever tagged. Had I waited a moment longer, an even larger buck was behind the one I shot. I've called many deer to either doe bleats or grunts, and I've used rattling on several occasions.

I have three different versions(Germany):
Most often from a higher stand. We don't have much open ground for stalking...
That I do on boar. In summer in the grains where they bed sometimes, and at night. I spot them with thermal optics and get close.

During late fall/winter, some driven hunts.

Would really love to hunt open ground stalking, but it is simply not possible here

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Mostly spot and stalk. Mule deer, antelope, black bear and elk. Lots of glassing. Quite a bit of hiking.

Have hunted deer from a ground blind and a tree stand.

Have also still hunted for deer & elk. That's fun.

Sometimes I'll use a predator call and try to bring in coyotes. Have tried it a couple of times for black bear as well.

My absolute favorite though, is walking with my dog and a shotgun, for upland game. Pheasant, chukar, huns, quail & grouse!
1BVdd9K.jpg

Guy Miner":1tvadenr said:
Mostly spot and stalk. Mule deer, antelope, black bear and elk. Lots of glassing. Quite a bit of hiking.

Have hunted deer from a ground blind and a tree stand.

Have also still hunted for deer & elk. That's fun.

Sometimes I'll use a predator call and try to bring in coyotes. Have tried it a couple of times for black bear as well.

My absolute favorite though, is walking with my dog and a shotgun, for upland game. Pheasant, chukar, huns, quail & grouse!
1BVdd9K.jpg
Ok - my answer focussed on big game.
I love being out with the dog and shotgun!
Though, due to changes in agriculture, small game is on a steady decline.
I know the stories of the elder guys with lots of hare and pheasant. But they are gone and probably never to come back

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Jim

1.spot and stalk ( mainly sheep, goat, elk )
2. track
3. opportunity--within personal, tribal and territory guidelines. When product is needed and the opportunity presents itself, even if we are out for a different reason than "hunting" ( mainly moose, caribou, bear )

We do enjoy bird hunting and if that was your question Jim "what is your style for bird hunting". We are able to knock down far more birds in a shorter period of time from a boat, plus I spend a lot of time walking every day, so I would say-- boat.

I figured most places that are timbered and heavily hunted would be favoring stand hunting .
I'd like to get a good spot and stalk hunt sometime . I have had hunts I glassed a lot but never turned into a stock . they were either way to far away , or they were reasonably close and coming my way . so I just positioned myself to be where I needed to be .
I've spent time through the winter when there is snow on the ground following deer tracks to see how the deer use the area . I've learned a lot doing this .
I've never hunted game with a dog . when I was young GrandPap and Dad had a couple beagles ,but that was way before I was hunting age . I'd like to get with someone that had a good dog , I'd enjoy watching a good dog hunt and listen to him chase . I have hunted coyotes with hounds .we found the tracks and put the hounds on them . good conversation thanks for the replies .

Thankful Otter":3ej84jlj said:
Jim

1.spot and stalk ( mainly sheep, goat, elk )
2. track
3. opportunity--within personal, tribal and territory guidelines. When product is needed and the opportunity presents itself, even if we are out for a different reason than "hunting" ( mainly moose, caribou, bear )

We do enjoy bird hunting and if that was your question Jim "what is your style for bird hunting". We are able to knock down far more birds in a shorter period of time from a boat, plus I spend a lot of time walking every day, so I would say-- boat.

the only birds I hunt are turkey . in spring gobbler I set up where I know turkey are in the general area and call . in the fall turkey season I walk through areas that I know hold turkey and watch for fresh sign and try to sneak in on them . if you can get the flock broke up you can call them in . I've never had any luck trying to call to the birds in the fall if they are in their flock . when I first started hunting Dad and I would hunt rabbits and ruffed grouse . we didn't have any dogs then . we would walk the woods , bounce on or kick at brush piles to get the rabbits to run out . we would raise grouse by just walking through areas with grape vines . it was a fun hunt . the coyote population has really increased , and it has drastically hurt the small game population . I probably haven't raised a grouse for 3 or 4 years . I don't even hunt small game any more .

Spot and stalk for mule deer and elk. Lots of glassing. I spend more time sitting while elk hunting then I use to, it does pay off. Mid day I'll spend quite a bit of time still hunting the timber pockets, particularly if it's warm.
IMG_2626.JPG
I spend three days a week following these two around chasing pheasants and Chukars, some quail and only one small flock of Huns this year.
IMG_2096.JPGIMG_1786.JPGIMG_0308.JPG
The ground I hunt lends itself to combining spot and stalk, still hunting and simply sitting. The area I'm pointing at often produces elk, working hard you'll drop 2000 feet to get into the bottom and it will take a couple hours to get there. If I know there's elk there I'll sit and glass early, then I'll start poking around midday I'll pick a spot where several draws come together in the timber and just sit for an hour or two. Killed elk just about every year in that canyon using one of those techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you guys have nice looking dogs they look happy to be out there . the scenery pics are beautiful . I'm going to try and go west this coming season . things didn't work out for me this past season . I sure do miss the mountains .

Thankful otter , how do you hunt birds from a boat ? the time I hunted caribou I saw ptarmigan . that's the only bird I remember seeing .

Ya, lots of time glassing... Then go after the critters!

Xim5BYzl.jpg

reObVPul.jpg

*BTW, I was pleased to learn that I do enjoy spending time in a ground blind. Was impressed with how "invisible" my son and I or another hunter and I would become. Great way to watch wildlife. I started using the ground blinds more a few years ago when we got interested in hunting whitetail deer, over in eastern Washington. I haven't tried the ground blind idea here in more open country of central Washington, but I think it could work. I'm not sure I'd want one set up on public land... I kinda like to be bright orange and readily seen on public land here in Washington.

Guy

I enjoy a combination of Still hunting, just plain sitting on a comfortable hot seat, and the occasional tree stand. To be honest I'm not too fond of tree stands as my fear of heights gets in the way of climbing. I get some laughs over that but it is an issue with me. You can, however, get some great shots from tree stands.

jimbires":1o7xc5ak said:
you guys have nice looking dogs

Thankful otter , how do you hunt birds from a boat ? the time I hunted caribou I saw ptarmigan . that's the only bird I remember seeing .

Jim

you have never heard of "night netting" ?

The Mackenzie river covers over 2 million kilometers that is fed by 18 major tributaries and two very large lakes, which provide marshes that are prime breeding grounds for a variety of waterfowl ( geese, ducks, cranes ). The Mackenzie is the largest area but it is not the only area. The skies are literally full of birds at certain times.

Don, Guy and Earle laugh at my little Boykin but he gets the job done. Although most times we just paddle around and pick up the birds out of the water.

April hunted here before I was born and has told me, when it comes to birds. Waterfowl in Canada, Doves in Argentina and Pheasant in the United States is as good as it gets. And she loves bird hunting, or did when she was younger.

Thankful Otter":11riii7h said:
jimbires":11riii7h said:

Jim

The Mackenzie river covers over 2 million kilometers that is fed by 18 major tributaries and two very large lakes, which provide marshes that are prime breeding grounds for a variety of waterfowl ( geese, ducks, cranes ). The Mackenzie is the largest area but it is not the only area. The skies are literally full of birds at certain times.

Don, Guy and Earle laugh at my little Boykin but he gets the job done. Although most times we just paddle around and pick up the birds out of the water.

April hunted here before I was born and has told me, when it comes to birds. Waterfowl in Canada, Doves in Argentina and Pheasant in the United States is as good as it gets. And she loves bird hunting, or did when she was younger.

No I have never heard of night netting .

diverdown":17brp6tp said:
I enjoy a combination of Still hunting, just plain sitting on a comfortable hot seat, and the occasional tree stand. To be honest I'm not too fond of tree stands as my fear of heights gets in the way of climbing. I get some laughs over that but it is an issue with me. You can, however, get some great shots from tree stands.

Buddy , if your not comfortable up in a tree , don't do it . I sure wouldn't want to be on edge all day . I do hunt off the ground when checking out a new place , since I have no idea where other guys will be . you just need to be more aware of what your doing when your eye level with the deer .

jimbires":1w8378t5 said:
Thankful Otter":1w8378t5 said:
jimbires":1w8378t5 said:

Jim

No I have never heard of night netting .
Cheyenne we will have to get him a burlap sack and have him stand on a rail with the sack open while he waits for a snipe to run into the sack. :)>)
All jokes aside I have plucked wild pigeons off beams in the hay barn at night. Blind them with a flash light and pick them off the beam or out of the rafters. But I was 12-14yrs old at that time and wouldn't try it now. :)>)

Back