His first deer

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
Thomas, Tina's grandson, who is 18 year old had hunted some with his father, Paul, in PA. However, he had never shot a deer. I had a Deer Management Permit for an antlerless deer in my game management unit. I offered it to Paul and Thomas. So Paul and Thomas drove up from PA last night and bought a NYS license for Thomas on the way.

They got up and got out early this morning and went over on "the other hill". They decided to use the notorious "gully stand" since they could leave the door open and Paul could sit on a stool on the oversized platform outside the blind while Thomas sat in the blind.

They got all set up about 45 minutes before legal shooting. About 30 minutes before legal shooting time, a doe came over the top of the hill, almost underneath the new "steel tower stand". She proceeded to feed in the clover food plot. So the guys sat and watched the doe for half an hour. With about 2 minutes to go, Paul ranged the doe at 180 yards, advised Thomas of the distance, and advised Thomas to get ready.

Right on the stroke of legal shooting time, Paul made a grunt call, the doe lifted her head, and Thomas squeezed the trigger. He made an excellent shot hitting it through the shoulders and lungs. The deer ran a short distance and expired.

Thomas was using a Savage Axis in .243 Win. shooting Nosler ammo loaded with 85 grain partitions. The bullet made a complete pass through accomplishing its mission in a most excellent fashion.

Needless to say, Thomas was a pretty happy kid and Paul was a very proud Dad.

Thomas with deer.JPG

Thomas and Paul with deer.JPG

Congratulations to the hunter and his Dad!
In 1 1/2 years i hope I can post a picture of my son and his first prey...
NP

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Congratulations to Thomas! First game is always special, somehow managing to stick in our memory for the remainder of days.

Congratulations to Tom and Paul, and thank you to Dan for sharing his beautiful hunting property for family to enjoy. Excellent story with a beautiful ending. That Doe will be a lot of good eating..
I encourage Tom to print the photos and start a hunting journal to add to over the years as each new adventure materializes. Thanks for sharing the story... Rol

Ditto on the hunting journal!

Congratulations! Sounds like a well executed hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on his first deer! Both my grandsons shot their first with the same .243 win. Dan.

Congratulations to Thomas and his dad! Nice shooting.

Very kind of you to offer your permit, way to go!

Back