Pheasants today!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My son John, our ten year old German Wirehaired Pointer Clark, and I enjoyed a nice, relaxed hunt at the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club, near Ellensburg Washington this morning. Clark enjoyed the easy hunt as much as we did. He found the six birds, dutifully pointed each one, then retrieved each one. I bought hens this time. It's not a demanding hunt, just a fun one.

Clark pointing a hen between two bushes:
evau8lml.jpg

My son and Clark heading out after another bird:
04dDqdvl.jpg

John with a bird, and his nearly 50 year old 20 gauge Ithaca (SKB) double. That gun was a present to me from Dad back in 1969. It still looks good and works great!
KIBAYLAl.jpg

Some old "guy" and his Browning 12 gauge, with a bird he might have hit. Unless the young fellow with the 20 gauge shot it first! I'll never tell...
UfVIZLbl.jpg

Guy

Nothing beats hunting birds with a good friend, or son, and a good dog. Your a lucky guy.

Honestly, I enjoy this stuff more than deer/bear/elk hunting...

Guy

I didn't dislike pheasant hunting, but once I had my own dogs and started working with them, it brought a whole other level to it. My younger lab is actually a pointer, so that is a cool plot twist.

Pennsylvania just legalized (this season) leashed blood tracking dogs for big game recovery, so I am saving deer parts in the freezer (my wife is thrilled by that!) for training in the off season. There's a big demand for trackers now in PA, and I think it'd be another fun way to extend the hunt, so to speak.

Well done Guy, Cooke canyon is fun. Before I moved home I hunted there a lot. I miss Alice and her Chilli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad you guys could enjoy that together! The only pheasant I ever "shot" was one of "those". friend still swears he missed but I doubt it. :) CL

Thanks for sharing Guy.
I haven't seen a pheasant around here in ten years.
Between the farmers cleaning out fence rows, no till farming practice bird flu and heavy housing development the pheasants have all disappeared.
I use to have them nesting in the fence row behind my house and and kept it wild just for them but they have been long gone and now it is a sanctuary for blue birds and any other bird who thrives in thick cover.

salmonchaser":3em6uvws said:
Well done Guy, Cooke canyon is fun. Before I moved home I hunted there a lot. I miss Alice and her Chilli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice is still there - and yesterday it was "soup" but with a distinct chili bite to it! (y)

Guy

Back