Fun Weekend Bobcat Hunting

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
Spent the weekend with my dad trying to call in a bobcat...we were not successful. We'll be back at it next weekend though. We saw lots of cat tracks, but we just couldn't convince one to come check out the wounded bird we were offering.

A cool surprise was to see a fresh set of Lynx tracks. I had my suspicions that they were in the area, as I had seen a set of tracks several years ago that I thought were Lynx (too big for a Bob and too small for a Cougar). Didn't have our phones with us, so no pic, but it looked exactly like the ones I googled up. Roughly 3" across and as crisp as could be in the fresh snow.

Maybe I'll have some pics next week :mrgreen:

Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing your success documented here.

Guy

They can be cagey critters. Here's pulling for you to connect.

The bobcats I’ve called in were real slow coming to the call. Most of them held up and were just setting there. Found them with the glasses.

Too Tall

Too Tall":3lvuqpd6 said:
The bobcats I’ve called in were real slow coming to the call. Most of them held up and were just setting there. Found them with the glasses.

Too Tall

Never saw bobcats coming to a call (don't see many this far north), but I do know that lynx will sit and watch when you call. Peculiar behaviour, but pretty typical I suspect for these cats.

We have some nice size Bobcats around my area but they are seldom seen.
What amazes me about these cats is how close they come into close contact with human populated areas and no one ever sees them.
Granted I live in a country setting but still have neighbors close by like a stones throw away and I have seen and heard the cats in my back yard.
While my wife was at my sisters last summer she watched one working a patch of woods only 20 feet away looking for lunch.

Bobcats are fun to watch when they're coming in to a call. They are very careful and ever so slow. I once got a shot at a moving Bobcat because he heard the scope caps when I popped them open and stopped to investigate the noise. He was nearly a hundred yards off.

Back