Field Testing my 7MM Practical Longrange

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
As some of you may remember, I'd posted my 7MM Practical Longrange Hunter build in here a couple months ago. The build was delayed due to the problem I've encountered with the rifle. After ironing some issues I've had with the TL action, I finally able to developed the load for the rifle, consist of 70 grains of Retumbo, Federal Gold Medal Match Brass, Federal 215 Match Primer to propel the 195 grain Berger EOL at around 2900 fps. Anxious to see how the rifle and load combo perform in the field, I took it hunting last October and took this small forky on the opening day. It was no longrange by any means... just 245 yards. The weather condition was terrible. We got rained out the night before with wind and fog rolling in which makes glassing almost impossible. The fog finally lifted briefly and I spotted this little forky in company of 2 other deer 250 yards from where I was glassing. All three were about the same size but I can’t discern any antler on the first two so I decided to take the 3rd one after I'm fully sure that it was a legal buck.
I was perched on a rocky ledge opposite the canyon where I spotted the deer. Shooting prone was out of the question due to a very steep angle. Luckily I brought my Harris H25 C with me. This bipod has telescopic leg that extend 27” and I needed every inch of it. My rifle was zeroed at 100 meters. Thats the farthest distance I’ve shot the 7MM Practical. I figured I probably needed no more than 1 MOA for a 245 yard shot. Just to make sure, I checked my ballistic program on my I-Phone and sure enough I only needed 3/4MOA. I guided the 1MOA stadia of my Leupold VX6 3/4 down the deer chest, just slightly behind the shoulder, grabbed the forearm and slowly applied a steady pressure on the 1.5 lb. trigger. The deafening noise echoed the surrounding hills as the sounds bounced around canyon walls. My ear was ringing like an alarm clock. I never saw the deer dropped due to recoil. I did hear the slapping sound of the bullet hitting a large mass. All 3 deer had disappeared from view. I glassed the surrounding area where I last saw the deer and see nothing. After waiting for about 15 minutes, I gathered all my gear and started trekking towards the area where I last saw the deer. As I got close, I saw the buck laying on it's side 180 degrees opposite to where it was facing when I took the shot. The deer must have spun around when the 195 Berger made contact about 2 inches behind the armpit and exited towards the top right shoulder. Gutting the deer, I found little pieces of jackets around the chest cavity but none of the lead core. The wound channel is very narrow and not much meat damaged. The bullet did its job as it should but then again this is a small deer. I don't know how this bullet will perform on large game.

Your bullet definitely blew through him. Excellent. Enjoy the dining he has given you and your family.

I've thought about the 7mm practical since it would be easy to make brass for and all I would need to do is run a reamer in my 7mm Rem chamber but I just don't have the area around where I live to take advantage of the longer range capabilities. Heck I would have to drive 3 hrs over in WV just to have a place to shoot it and there is a 1 year waiting list to become a member of the club though I don't need to be a member to shoot there but it helps since you have access when others don't.

The 7 MM Practical is sensible choice than a 28 Nosler in my opinion. Your giving up no more than 80-125 fps in velocity. With higher ballistic coefficient bullets in 7MM bore, anything the 28 Nosler do, the 7MM Practical can do just as well. My 195 grain Berger EOL load at over 2900 fps, will hit transonic barrier at around 1900 yards with over 1100 ft/lbs of energy left. That's more than enough to clobber any North American games except the large bear.

Desertfox I think the Practical is a great cartridge and maybe a little better than the Mashburn. I just don't have anyplace to shoot it locally.

jimbires":83gdbeeo said:
I've got an itch for a big 7mm . this is one I'm considering .
I have no experience with it and only know what I have read else where and what Desert Fox has posted here, but like you it would be one that I would consider since it's easy to make from 300 win brass. I do believe you will need a long mag box to take advantage of the extra powder space and seating the long bullets way out there and a fast twist barrel.

truck driver":4eupljk7 said:
jimbires":4eupljk7 said:
I've got an itch for a big 7mm . this is one I'm considering .
I have no experience with it and only know what I have read else where and what Desert Fox has posted here, but like you it would be one that I would consider since it's easy to make from 300 win brass. I do believe you will need a long mag box to take advantage of the extra powder space and seating the long bullets way out there and a fast twist barrel.

here is some reading , maybe you already read this .

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowle ... tical.html

Yes I have and thanks for the link since I liked reading it again. Sounds like I could just have a reamer ran in my 7mm Rem chamber and stretch the box out to 3.6" and be good to go along with changing the bolt stop on the M70.

I went with 8 twist barrel but 9 is all you need actually. I have the reamer if you guys need it. It was used to chamber two rifles.

Read up on this in the attached link. Very interesting.....probably wont rechamber Dads 7Mag, but seems a very well thought out wildcat. And useful too. Thanks for posting. CL

jimbires":13fn70jk said:
do you like the T-L action ? would you buy one again ?

For a price... yes. However TL needs to ironed out the kinks, The bolt is so tight that any misalignment on chambering, the fired case will have the tendency to bind even on a mild load. Mine came cerrakoted and that made matter worst. I have to sanded out the coating in order for it to work properly. Other than that its a well thought out design.

Desert Fox":1kfeg41a said:
jimbires":1kfeg41a said:
do you like the T-L action ? would you buy one again ?

For a price... yes. However TL needs to ironed out the kinks, The bolt is so tight that any misalignment on chambering, the fired case will have the tendency to bind even on a mild load. Mine came cerrakoted and that made matter worst. I have to sanded out the coating in order for it to work properly. Other than that its a well thought out design.

thanks for the info , I forgot about the TL actions . I kind of have my eye on the Kelby's atlas action . maybe you already said this, and I didn't notice . what is your fired case water capacity ?

your welcome Cloverleaf , I thought that was a good article too .

Nice buck DF. Those big 7’s are pretty danged awesome.

Never used the 195 Berger’s on game but I should finish my load work and try it out on deer next year.

Kudu hunted with my 7mm Practical at 283 meter. AccuBond Long Range 175gr, IMR 7977 with 70.5gr.
8b3bb4d989a598e5eb2632f1b6a562c4.jpg
2e49bbabd87cf2752157e118296bb7a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Back