Quality Deer Management_NYDAN Style

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
For the last 25 years Dan has maintained the farm previously owned by his grandparents and parents. His efforts have included adding to the acreage, to attain 267 acres presently, maintaining open fields to prevent the return of dense forests, and for the last 10 years or so, planting food plots to attract deer.
This year Dan invited a nearby farmer to plant corn on about 30 acres of fields.
He and neighboring land owners have ascribed to an informal code, “let the little bucks grow” only shoot the big guys.. Sound familiar? Through the archery and early parts of the rifle season Dan and invited guests, who have earned the invitation through sweat equity, harvested three nice 8 point or better bucks on Dan’s farm.
Due to health issues it was impossible for me to join Dan to hunt his farm until last week. I hunted three days, first day I saw no deer, second day I saw 8 does in one group. Day three Dan decided to join me in his shooting hut which is located in a beautiful field on the south hill. It was ideal, Dan facing one direction and me the opposite, so we had good coverage of the area without neck strain. We had just settled into the hut when two doe came following our trail up to within about 40 yards, clearly demonstrating the need to be aware of scent on your boots. The action continued through the day, to the point where we decided to stay through lunch break at the house to warm up and have some lunch. All told we saw between 30 and 40 deer during the day, including 7 different bucks. One group of 4 spike bucks appeared midday and different antler configuration proved we saw different bucks through the day. The largest was a very nice basket 8 point which could easily been some fine eating if it were not for the Quality Deer Management efforts we ascribe to.
It was a beautiful way to spend three days with a good friend outdoors in God’s world.

Here are a few photos from our hunt.

DSCN0379.JPG

DSCN0387.JPG

DSCN0390.JPG

DSCN0391.JPG

DSCN0400.JPG

Plus on Sunday morning we saw an 8th different buck from the back porch.

On the middle day of our hunt I tried to flush deer out of some bedding woods to where Roland was on watch. I put up up a lot of deer but they all just circled me and wouldn't leave the woods. I had great opportunties to shoot a couple during my walk. It is such fun stalking up on deer in the woods. It was great spending some time in the great outdoors with a good friend.

Dan

Rol,

It is wonderful to know that you were able to make this hunt. I really appreciated meeting you and Dan this past summer. Dan, you've done a fantastic job with the farm. You are to be congratulated for excellent management of the land.

This is what Roland's hunt was all about! Camaraderie. Sorry about the sideways. Don't know how to fix it.

Friends.jpg

Hey, I may recognise those two gentlemen. May God grant you a blessed and merry Christmas, gentlemen. And may your days always be filled with warm camaraderie.

Back