My first deer hunt, November 1967

Sgt H

Beginner
Nov 15, 2018
Thought I would share this story as some enjoyed the story of Dad's 280 posted in the rifles section earlier. In Nov. 1967 I was 9 years old and weighed about 65-70 pounds, don't remember how tall I was. Dad had been teaching me to shoot since I was about 6 and thought I was ready for my first deer hunt. The weapon Dad chose for me was a .30 caliber M1 carbine which was the same type weapon Dad had used to harvest his first deer in Europe during WW2. Dad had me practicing a lot prior to the season and I was putting all my bullets in the black on a 25 yard pistol target (about 5 inches) at 50 to 75 yards. Anyway on the afternoon of opening day Dad took me out for my first deer hunt. I imagine he knew getting a 9 year old up at 2:00am to make a morning hunt was not a good plan. Dad found where a deer trail came off a low hill into an oak bottom and quickly constructed a brush blind. It seemed like forever but I am sure it was not all that long (sitting still and quiet was not a skill I had mastered) before a doe came down the trail and stood broadside at 40-50 yards. I was extremely excited (likely shaking) and proceeded to miss her 4 or 5 times. I still have no idea why she stood there while I fired that many shots, maybe deaf or laughing. I was depressed for missing after all the practice and thought my chances of another opportunity were done for the day. I had my first lesson that shooting at a live target was not the same as a paper target on the range. Dad assured me another deer would come down the trail. I was not long before a forkhorn buck came down the trail and stood facing us at about 25 yards. I think he had spotted us or knew all that stacked up brush had not been there before. Dad put his hands on my shoulders to calm me down and I slowly raised the carbine. Dad whispered to aim at the white patch on his neck. I set the white patch on top of the front sight and fired. The forkhorn dropped in his tracks. Talk about excitement, I had harvested my first deer. Dad was excited too, and I know quite proud. Upon examination of the deer Dad found the bullet had struck the forkhorn in the head quite a few inches from where I was aiming. Then Dad noticed I had slid the rear peep sight to the 300yd setting. I don't remember doing it but no doubt did while sitting and fidgeting trying to be still and quiet. At the 300yd setting the bullets would impact about 10 inches high at 50 yards, accounting for my missing the doe. Well that's my story and I am sticking to it. I know now and have for a long time the .30 carbine is not really a proper caliber for deer, but I will always cherish harvesting my first big game with with the same weapon Dad used. Posted in memory of Dad, MSgt W.A. Hines, WW2, Korea, Vietnam.

Awesome story about dad and you! Seems like the old 30 carbine had enough to handle deer. At least st those ranges. Congrats and thank you for posting it.

sarge, you dad was a good father to invest so wisely in the future, not just his son, but those you’ve touched as well.

9 years old and you had your first buck, congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing a great story.
I have one that I used to hunt groundhogs with about the time you killed your deer.
They were legal for deer in VA back then but I don't know about now?

Taking a break from installing new floors, the story made my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":1kia857z said:
Taking a break from installing new floors, the story made my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Love them sorta stories.

Excellent story. Most of us had someone who took us under their wing, and now we can pay it forward as we invest in others. Again, truly enjoyed the story of your first deer.

DrMike":1j16neuc said:
Excellent story. Most of us had someone who took us under their wing, and now we can pay it forward as we invest in others.

DrMike said it better than I could. Thanks for sharing the story of your first deer. Isn't it surprising how many things we did that worked (like using a 30 carbine) back in the old days, when now-a-days we all know that couldn't possibly work.

Dan

Excellent story, thanks for sharing. Reminds me of my first deer many years ago with my dad.

That is a very neat story. I remember some guys who used a 30 car but your the first one I've read that killed a deer with one. Dan.

Great story, thanks for sharing. I read it to my wife and we both had a good laugh as it reminded us of our son growing up 30 years ago.

Back