PRS, practice for hunting

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Link to an interesting article I stumbled across over at Long Range Hunting. The author is a hunter, who decided to enter a couple of PRS matches and found he could hone his shooting skills by doing so.

PRS, for those who don't know is Precision Rifle Series, a rapidly evolving form of target competition. The targets are steel gongs at various unknown distances and must be engaged from some difficult firing positions. Time and accuracy are both important.

Worth a few minutes to read:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/articl ... tion.1217/

Guy

Good read. I really wish I had time to do some of these shoots. It really looks like a lot of fun. I’m certainly enjoying the benefits of this style of shooting in rifle in ovations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be fun and interesting to participate in some of these shoots with some of my hunting rifles.
While I have no interest in hunting at long range, I do think the practice, knowledge and experienced gained in shooting longer distances, under difficult conditions/positions, adds to your ability to make better shots, at what I consider reasonable hunting distances. No different than practicing at longer distances with my bows (50 yards with a recurve and 70-80 yardswith compound bows). It builds confidence and better shooting form.

It is too bad that these type of matches are not held locally here.

I’ve been dieing to get into it myself. I’m thinking I just need to jump in and get to some matches.

SJB358":2xb2xfe3 said:
I’ve been dieing to get into it myself. I’m thinking I just need to jump in and get to some matches.
Scotty do they still have them at Quantico?

truck driver":pwlzdw7v said:
SJB358":pwlzdw7v said:
Scotty do they still have them at Quantico?

I don’t think so? Not sure to be honest.

I'm hoping to get to a few of our local PRS-type matches here at my gun club. They're held almost monthly.

Likely be great fun, and improve my rusty skills. Nothing like competition to improve things!

Our club matches seldom have a target beyond 700 yards or so. Once in a while a steel target will be placed out at 1100 yards roughly. Now I've got a rifle that should be able to do that!

Guy

I really need to start doing this, but currently replacing all my flooring.
I guess I'll have to use one of my hunting rigs for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I know I went out and got that new Ruger, which is more or less made for this sort of competition, but that's mostly 'cause the sale price was too good to pass up.

I'd happily do these things with the ol' "Green Machine" 308 Win, though it wouldn't be competitive.

Word of warning for folks contemplating this - the match directors typically don't allow anything with a mv over 3200 fps, and often nothing with "magnum" in the name. Those cartridges tend to destroy even the AR500 steel targets.

Most competitors use the milder 6.5's & 6mm's. The 223 and 308 are also quite welcome.

Oh - and on a budget... there are 22 rimfire competitions too! Out to 300 yards! :grin:

Guy

That's a lot like the shoot I have talked about here Guy that they hold up by Potomac MT which is about 20 miles northeast of Missoula. They try and hold a shoot once a month from about April until October. They shoot steel targets at various distances and have a course for general hunting rifles and PRS style rifles. I believe the longest distance they had was 1340 yards or thereabouts. The hunting rifle course went out to about 500 yards.

http://www.marbut.com/Rifle/

Nice. Ya, I like that. Might be able to hit your range this coming summer.

Guy

Back