Washington Mountain Lion Hunt

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Okay, rather than interfere further with the Oregon Cougar Camp thread... Today was the first day I really hunted mountain lion seriously this winter. Was a nice, clear 19 degrees with a fair bit of fresh snow on the ground. I'd talked to the WDFW people and let 'em know that I'm going to be out there quite a bit over the next few weeks and months. They're hoping I tag a cat. Me too! Season is open now for bobcat, cougar and of course coyotes.

Chilly but beautiful today:
NWkeGEUl.jpg

VEq9nLsl.jpg

U1uJQKEl.jpg

jiwi49Ql.jpg

qQLfKXNl.jpg

yMZE6k3l.jpg

Was smart enough, for once, to stop after the Jeep was dragging the rear diff through the snow. That's often a prelude to getting stuck. I was miles back in off the main road, and on my own. I didn't want to mess around with a stuck Jeep! So, parked it, put on my snowshoes and my pack, and headed out afoot. No luck, but it was glorious being out there in the Big Quiet.
pDPVOTVl.jpg

By glassing, I found the mule deer. They were bedded down on sunny, south-facing slopes, as expected. Did not however find a cat or coyote. I shall persist! Rifle is the 308, with 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip handloads and the 6x SWFA scope.
fMDHJ9Il.jpg

Terrific snowshoes! So happy with the little MSR shoes!
DekuZMSl.jpg

All set for poking around the snowy backroads. Survival gear & food, Max Trax, chains, winch, recovery strap, extra fuel, etc... The BFG KO2's are working great in the snow!
kFKyEZOl.jpg

I don't think this is going to be easy, but it gives me a worthwhile hunting project over the coming weeks and months.

Guy

You like the Max Trac Guy? Thinking about getting a couple of those. Showshoes are awesome. I have MSR Lightning Ascents and love them also. You using trekking poles with baskets on them? They sure help with the snowshoes at least for me.

That is some pretty country your in Guy. Sounds like your all prepared for the time afield. Might throw in a fly rod and drift a nymph in one of those streams. Hope you cross paths with a cat! Dan.

Normally I just use my x-c ski poles. They're a little long, but they work. Often when snowshoeing, I just use one. Today I didn't use any poles. Just walked. :)

Ya, my son and I and our buddies all started getting and using Max Trax, maybe three winters ago? I think almost all of us have at least one set now. They've been great! We almost never winch on our winter trips anymore! The Max Trax are faster and I think safer, most of the time.

BTW, we've seen the half-price versions fail/break. Max Trax are expensive, but... I think they're worth it. They seem to perform much better for us than the imitators that have cropped up the past couple of years.

Guy

wvbuckbuster":1vfh01ny said:
That is some pretty country your in Guy. Sounds like your all prepared for the time afield. Might throw in a fly rod and drift a nymph in one of those streams. Hope you cross paths with a cat! Dan.

Oh, I've fished this country, these streams... :) Yes sir! (y)

Guy

It is lovely country, and the more so in the snow. Brisk, but the sunshine does help temper the cold. Great photo essay, Guy.

Very beautiful country Guy! Good luck on your quest, hope to see some big cat pics!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I know it's a really low percentage hunt. But I'm okay with that.

Guy

Hmm.. the "big quiet". There was always wind in my "big quiet". Totally get it though.... Officially jealous. Good luck with the hunt...enjoy the quiet! Some of "mine".... wish I could still get out there...CL

Great photos there CL!

Thank you. Ya, I dearly love just being "out there."

Guy

Guy, what size BFGs do you have on that and how does it do in the snow? I just got a jeep with 12.5" 35 bfgs and tobe honest i haven't had it out in the snow yet because im afraid its going to float around and be too squirrelly...yes i know its a jeep and it will be squirrelly anyway

Attachments

• 17164.jpeg
    17164.jpeg
    763.9 KB · Views: 1,267
Too Tall":2th0xoch said:
Guy, is that the Green Machine, in different furniture?

Too Tall

Yup, that's the original HS Precision stock from 25 years ago or so. I painted it long ago. More years in this stock than in the McMillan, and I prefer this lighter stock when I hunt with the rifle. Unless I start using this rifle for competition again, it won't spend much time in the McMillan. Both are good stocks. This one is considerably lighter and handier.

Guy

Slimfinn - I've got 16x9" wheels.

Am running 285/75/16's, which are E-Rated. More than enough for the Jeep!

That translates to about a 33x11.50.

When I get serious about the snow, off-pavement, I'll drop down to 10 psi or lower. The traction and mobility is amazing at 7 lbs... Haven't had a problem with losing a bead yet, but I'm not saying it can't happen.

Guy

There is a video on you tube that just came on in the last week or 2 from Washington of a guy following some
tracks and getting a cat after bumping it off a kill.
The country you posted looks like it would be some nice stuff to run dogs in if allowed.

Got a call from a handgun student of mine. She started shooting 3 months ago or so. Three lessons so far.

She was out at the barn, taking care of her horses, came out of the barn...

Mountain lion in the tree! She perceived it as stalking her horses, goats, etc (I can't remember what all she's got around the place), pulled her 9mm and shot it!

It fell from the tree, and tried to get away. She ran through the snow after the injured cat and popped it twice in the head with her 9mm to finish it! Brave woman. She's all of about 5' tall.

Local sheriff and WDFW were notified, and are fine with her kill. :)

Now, I am STILL seeking a danged cat!

Guy

Back