Pigeon-hunt tomorrow

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
My boys and I will go to a big pigeon-hunt tomorrow - around 100 hunters.
All the money collected will go to a children-hospice. €30 per hunter, €1/pigeon you take with you and a hat will go around during 'Schüsseltreiben' (dinner in the local pub).
There were years with around 1000 birds harvested.
Weather shall be cold and clear, hope to get some!
Will post pictures tomorrow...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Very neat concept. Can't help but think what could be done on the streets of any major city in the United States or Canada. Oh, wait, there'd be an outcry of apocalyptic proportions. Might be worth it, though. :mrgreen:

It is a rural area where people are not that distant from real life...

It is even mentioned very positively in the local press.
Even if I do not fire a single shot, it is worth travelling 200 miles to support it.
Last years i averaged around 5 and my sons love to replace the dog. They can't wait until they can hunt there, too.

DrMike":oxru7s5j said:
Very neat concept. Can't help but think what could be done on the streets of any major city in the United States or Canada. Oh, wait, there'd be an outcry of apocalyptic proportions. Might be worth it, though. :mrgreen:

Exactly! Good point Dr Mike

Frank, it is an excellent event and cause and we are still trying to get there

Well - start small and grow big.

I am afraid the bigger towns are almost lost here, too.
Though there is a movement to local production, animal-friendly and if hunting-associations play it right, we might still win.

I have some vegetarians around who are ok with hunting.
Actually, the only meat my girlfriend eats is the one I put into the freezer. She is considering getting a license!

There are still (some) people around with common sense. We just have to get them on board...

Well, it was a beautiful day, just the pigeons were somewhere else - got just one. All in all, 470 were shot and some crows.
1d26e49cbedaacffee2c83bc6b4d47b2.jpg

It is called 'Strecke legen' and I am afraid it doesn't translate well.
It is usually done after all Community-hunts.
There were around 20 hunters playing horns, but I only have a video and cannot upload it. They great the hunters, there are signals for all species, they end the hunt, call to the table, ....

Me ;-)
3cdb1d196a5e4bb24582bc86762212b4.jpg

Growing up farmers would let you shoot pigeons around their buildings and once the birds figured out you were after them they would go under the eves where you couldn't shoot them.
We would work in pairs with the best shot standing out side and the other would go in the barn and flush the birds for the shooter waiting out side.
It was a lot of fun and there were always plenty of birds to shoot.

Looks like you had a great day.

€21500 were collected for the hospice.
Great PR for hunting!

Back