Wyoming Elk hunting headache

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
Why am I too stupid to figure out a good tag strategy for non-resident elk in Wyoming? Build points, or general tag, or... too many options.

My hunting buddy wants to hunt this year but doesn't want to burn points, maybe we could just deer hunt and scout for elk. If we save our points we could hunt for super elk in 25 years or so if we live that long. I want to chuck 4 points away on a general tag and go have fun. If you draw a general every 2 to 3 years I think you have a better chance to have more elk meat in 10 years than you would have chasing big antlers once a decade or so. Maybe I will just solo this year. Anyone ever hunt the Sierra Madre or Snowy ranges of the Medicine Bow National Forest?

Serenity now!

Whats wrong with doing a cow elk hunt. Have done it several times and enjoyed it as much as bull hunting. But then I just like being in elk country and love the meat...

And you can keep your points.

Nothing wrong with that, probably what I will end up doing, just my friend seems to have antleritis this year and that is throwing me off. My real question to myself is it worth getting point creeped to death for the hope of hunting a monster in a limited unit someday when I can hunt for a decent bull every couple of years on decent ground. My wife says I should stop over thinking it...

Put in for a reduced price cow/calf, it doesn't count against your points if you draw, and is a very reasonable tag. Come July you can buy another point. I don't want to waste my life waiting for my points to accumulate. I get to hunt every year in Wyoming and every once in a while draw a General tag. I don't care much for trophy hunting but 260 bulls are pretty common in most units. I like spikes and rag horns, they eat a lot better.

ksubuck":1ykve7kg said:
My real question to myself is it worth getting point creeped to death for the hope of hunting a monster in a limited unit someday when I can hunt for a decent bull every couple of years on decent ground. ...

I would hunt every couple of years for a good bull and if I wanted a monster I would spend the bucks for one of the big $ hunts on private in NM or Reservations. Or maybe Colorado ranching for wildlife hunts.

Good luck and good hunting whatever you choose.

Randy Newberg (hunting show host) currently has a series going on you tube "Hunt Elk every year" I have not kept up with the series as I will never hunt Elk but he seems to have a system down. Might be worth checking out. I hear you- gotten way to complicated to get a lisc. CL

I am blessed here in Saskatchewan as we have a regular Elk season that allows me to hunt either Bull or Cow and I am one that hunts for the sake of hunting so it does not matter what sex the animal is when I harvest one. :wink:.
Now one animal I would love to harvest is a Bull Moose as for some reason that in 50 or so years of hunting them I have not harvested a Bull Moose :lol:.
This was the first year in 5 that I have personally harvested a Whitetail Buck as we are now selecting our harvest and this particular buck was definitely on the decline and has basically lived in one of our pastures since he was born.

Blessings,
Dan

I do hunt elk every year, and my goal is to hunt in more than two states. Last year I did, but did not score in two This year I am again hoping for three opportunities. Hunting elk every year is pretty easy if you live out west. But bringing one home is a lot harder.

Elkman":1cb2glg1 said:
I do hunt elk every year, and my goal is to hunt in more than two states. Last year I did, but did not score in two This year I am again hoping for three opportunities. Hunting elk every year is pretty easy if you live out west. But bringing one home is a lot harder.

And damned expensive too.. :shock:

AK7AN
Yes it is, actually my biggest cost is fuel. Wyoming is very reasonable for non -residents. A reduced price cow tag is $308, my fuel is more. The best place I ever lived for hunting was Idaho, but when the wolves invaded the north 2/3 of the state, and I retired, I moved on. I could have stayed in Idaho and traveled less distance than I do now, but Washington does not tax our income and that savings, more than makes up for my fuel and tags. I also have realized that my long distance trips will be coming to an end, and that my current location puts me a days drive from some great hunting spots. There are trade offs in everything we do, and there is always a cost.

I didn't draw the bull tag this year that I showed a 97% chance of drawing based off last years odds. Point creep is bad in Wyoming, I'd say to burn points and hunt. Randy Newburg said basically the same thing on a podcast recently.

Elk are a species I enjoy hunting but I like others better. I'm going to keep trying to go back to the unit I know for elk, but I'm ok with only hunting elk once every 5-7 years. I got hooked on Alaska last year and want to hunt muleys regularly too. I can only get in one good out of state hunt a year so something has to give. So far it's been elk and antelope. I build more points for them since I'm ok hunting them less often.

Back