I saw a live wild moose for the first time

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
Tina and I were riding down snowmobile corridor trail "D" today between North Bay and Astorville, Ontario, Canada this morning. I come over a rise in the trail just in time to see a bull moose vacate the trail "to the left". He had been walking down the hard packed trail when I came upon him. His tracks in the snow where he ran away indicated he was leaping about 8 feet between bounds.

We have often seen moose tracks on the trails. They come out of the bush and cruise the hard pack trails eating the ends of brush along the trails. I even found a shed antler in the trail once. But, this is the first time I have ever seen one.

Now, I have seen mounts, I have seen photos, and I have seen TV programs. But, none of those give justice to the size and grandeur of the animal. What a magnificient creature!

It made my day to see a moose (and a bull at that) for the first time.

Just call me "Happy" Dan

Happy Dan, guess we'll gladly change your name! Come on up. I'm certain I can show you a few of the critters. It still thrills me to see these magnificent creatures in the wild, to be sure.

Glad you saw your first moose :) When you see one up close it's amazing to see how big they are, magnificent animals.

Hey Dan ask Rol_P about our Moose encounter in Montana.
It was a little funny and a first time experience for me since I was trying to figure out what breed of animal it was in the early mourning darkness since it had no antlers and I couldn't see it's head while it ran up the road in front of my truck.

Wait until you hunt and harvest one for the first time.
When you first walk up to itand realize how big it actually is, and that you have to skin, clean, quarter and pack it out of the bush.
That is when you will really get an idea of its size!
And that will just be your Ontario version of the Canadian moose. May weight 700-800 pounds.
The do the same on a Alaska-Yukon moose, that can weigh 1500-1800 pounds!
The you will truly understand and appreciate stories of taking three days to pack out a moose! LOL
I have had new hunters laugh at me when I pass on some moose, just because of its location, and tell them there are easier moose to hunt!
Sadly with our declining moose population, that is getting harder to find.

Blkram":sf55tydj said:
When you first walk up to itand realize how big it actually is, and that you have to skin, clean, quarter and pack it out of the bush.
And that will just be your Ontario version of the Canadian moose. May weight 700-800 pounds.
The you will truly understand and appreciate stories of taking three days to pack out a moose! LOL
I have had new hunters laugh at me when I pass on some moose, just because of its location, and tell them there are easier moose to hunt!

Oh, don't I wish that I could hunt a moose. Sadly, I don't think that is going to happen. However, I am looking forward to what will probably be my last western hunt for elk this fall.

Dan

NYDAN":273ruwrg said:
Blkram":273ruwrg said:

Oh, don't I wish that I could hunt a moose. Sadly, I don't think that is going to happen. However, I am looking forward to what will probably be my last western hunt for elk this fall.

Dan
Dan I hope it won't be your last elk hunt, if it is I hope you find this guy!IMG_1951.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":12aj1dfi said:
NYDAN":12aj1dfi said:
Blkram":12aj1dfi said:

Dan
Dan I hope it won't be your last elk hunt, if it is I hope you find this guy!

yeah! that would work

We didn't have moose in Arizona and the first time I saw one was when we went to Alaska.
I still remember it and was amazed at how large they were. I also remember the first time I shot one and remember thinking --getting this guy hauled out is going to be a bit harder than a coues deer ---

Dan, I have had to give up hunting and sailing, but still go with my children and grandchildren, but stay in the lodge or camp. Keep going, even if you dont hunt for a long as you can

salmonchaser":3oh9ckk6 said:
NYDAN":3oh9ckk6 said:
Blkram":3oh9ckk6 said:

Dan

Yes, I would be more than happy with that one!

Dan

Europe":2cd7cdd1 said:
salmonchaser":2cd7cdd1 said:
NYDAN":2cd7cdd1 said:
Blkram":2cd7cdd1 said:

Dan

yeah! that would work

We didn't have moose in Arizona and the first time I saw one was when we went to Alaska.
I still remember it and was amazed at how large they were. I also remember the first time I shot one and remember thinking --getting this guy hauled out is going to be a bit harder than a coues deer ---

Dan, I have had to give up hunting and sailing, but still go with my children and grandchildren, but stay in the lodge or camp. Keep going, even if you dont hunt for a long as you can

Yes, April, I plan to stay involved in one way or another as long as I can.
Dan

I have seen one in Yellowstone NP, one in eastern Washington, and few in Canada Fishing. Never have seen one with big antlers.

Dan, I do not intend for this falls hunting trip to be your last..out west... I am hoping that your 300WSM will serve you well and help you bring home the bacon...(Elk Bacon of course).. :). Great memories have a way of planting a seed which sprouts into a need for more opportunities.. Having known you now for a few years, I hope for nothing less, great success, many fond memories and a yearning for many more opportunities out west. It is contagious... Rol

Rol_P":1nmmks8m said:
Dan, I do not intend for this falls hunting trip to be your last..out west... I am hoping that your 300WSM will serve you well and help you bring home the bacon...(Elk Bacon of course).. :). Great memories have a way of planting a seed which sprouts into a need for more opportunities.. Having known you now for a few years, I hope for nothing less, great success, many fond memories and a yearning for many more opportunities out west. It is contagious... Rol

Rol, thanks for the encouragement. You are a good friend. Yes, let's hope for many more hunts together. I just heard one of my clients got a contract extension. So, they will need my services for another 18 months...

Dan

NYDAN":ydgd1pih said:
Rol_P":ydgd1pih said:

Rol, thanks for the encouragement. You are a good friend. Yes, let's hope for many more hunts together. I just heard one of my clients got a contract extension. So, they will need my services for another 18 months...

Dan

Gentlemen,

I pray you enjoy many more years of sharing hunting and many years after than sharing stories of these hunts.

Back