2019 Colorado hunting license change

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
I received my 2019 Colorado Big Game booklet yesterday . I looked at the " whats new for 2019 " page . an applicant MUST BUY a qualifying license BEFORE being able to apply for a big game license , or point . the two qualifying license they have listed are non resident adult spring turkey $151.75 , or annual small game adult non resident $81.75

Well, that should up state revenues (or drive away hunters). I should imagine that the Democrat legislature thought this was a great idea.

I had heard if you had a big game license the previous year you could apply without that. Is that true? I haven’t seen a brochure yet. I go every year but starting to think I might start carrying a camera.

yes this should increase license sales and revenue . kind of reminds me of the price of a hot dog at a ball game , ouch . I did not read anything about the previous year license exemption .

I need to look this over better . I'm not sure if a small game license would need to be purchased if a license was bought over the counter , maybe this is only for the draw licenses ??

They did that in Michigan a while back.

You have to buy small game first ($15), then you can add your deer/bear/elk(lol, possibly the hardest tag to acquire- roughly 100 tags per year and roughly 10,000 apps every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My resident buddy tells me I need to buy a small game license at least even though I had an elk tag last year. He said the good news is that they cut the price for bear tags! That should help the elk immensely.

I guess the $670 for the Bull tag or $496 for a cow tag just doesn't quite cover the cost for the privilege of hunting in the Peoples Republic of Colorado. Now just for the honor of applying I have to spend $81 on a NR small game license. If I wanted to hunt small game thats what I would purchase as a matter of choice, but I have absolutely no use for a small game license. As a NR you have no recourse to talk to a legislator, but I guess a phone call or email to the CPW would make a person feel better. Last year Colorado made some smart changes with how you paid for the licences you draw (not having to pay the full amount up front), but took big steps this year in the wrong direction. As a former resident and hunter I know firsthand that CPW, (controlled by the legislature), doesn't give a Rats Ass about anything except the amount of revenue that can be lifted from your wallet. Including distorting the size and availability of big game herds IMO. I guess we have other choices as to where we hunt, but ours is a family function with my Son and Daughter still being residents, and it gives my wife and I time to spend with them. Guess I will just suck it up and donate more of my hard earned money. Maybe if enough people let the CPW know how they feel it would be reconsidered,doubtful. To me the best way to let them know is to vote with your wallet and spend your outdoor dollars elsewhere.
Sorry for the rant,but this is really pissing me off.
Take care
Ed

AK7AN":32vk8iyi said:
I guess the $670 for the Bull tag or $496 for a cow tag just doesn't quite cover the cost for the privilege of hunting in the Peoples Republic of Colorado. Now just for the honor of applying I have to spend $81 on a NR small game license. If I wanted to hunt small game thats what I would purchase as a matter of choice, but I have absolutely no use for a small game license. As a NR you have no recourse to talk to a legislator, but I guess a phone call or email to the CPW would make a person feel better. Last year Colorado made some smart changes with how you paid for the licences you draw (not having to pay the full amount up front), but took big steps this year in the wrong direction. As a former resident and hunter I know firsthand that CPW, (controlled by the legislature), doesn't give a Rats Ass about anything except the amount of revenue that can be lifted from your wallet. Including distorting the size and availability of big game herds IMO. I guess we have other choices as to where we hunt, but ours is a family function with my Son and Daughter still being residents, and it gives my wife and I time to spend with them. Guess I will just suck it up and donate more of my hard earned money. Maybe if enough people let the CPW know how they feel it would be reconsidered,doubtful. To me the best way to let them know is to vote with your wallet and spend your outdoor dollars elsewhere.
Sorry for the rant,but this is really pissing me off.
Take care
Ed

Ed I am a former resident also, 5 generations worth as a matter of fact. It pains me to no end to see how that state has been given over to the Left...lock, stock, and barrel. As an example have “wilderness study areas” now out in the middle of nowhere locking up access to thousands and thousands of good Mule Deer country for anyone without a pack string where there are closed roads everywhere contained within. Now I have no problem with true wilderness areas, but this is just some BLM land manager exercising his you know what because of pressure brought on by mountain bikers...now I’m starting to rant!

I come from the west side where there are still plenty of “us”, but our numbers are fading fast. We too visit every Fall, we keep a travel trailer there still.

I’ve been looking for a nice Savage 24V, dang those things have gotten high priced. I’m fixing to become a grouse hunter. [emoji1]

I have nine point for elk and next year I will use them and after that Colorado will not have my business.
I will go elsewhere.

I saw this while reading the regs this morning, What a bunch of BS! I have 9 points for a deer tag I’ve Been trying to draw. I’m gonna have to think this over if I wanna waste the money on putting in for the draw this year? I’m pretty much done with Colorado at this point!!

tecumseh":3s9t3urf said:
I saw this while reading the regs this morning, What a bunch of BS! I have 9 points for a deer tag I’ve Been trying to draw. I’m gonna have to think this over if I wanna waste the money on putting in for the draw this year? I’m pretty much done with Colorado at this point!!

Nine points should get you a tag pretty much anywhere, and I definitely feel your frustration. It take an investment of not just money, but a lot of time, especially waiting that long to just draw a tag you are wanting. Kind of a kick in the nuts... Grrrrrrrr.
I gotta stop before I get fired up... :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Take Care and good luck in whatever you decide to do..
Ed

I hear Utah is a lovely place to hunt.....

Or.... you could simply buy an OTC elk tag, and skip the draw all together....

Or.... you could move here, and pay taxes here.

Funny how the only people complaining, are people who feel entitled to hunt our state on the cheap.

Couple Questions: how much does it cost for a Non-Resident to hunt in your state? Do you have more elk than any other state? Do you have millions upon millions of acres of public land to hunt? Does your state lease trust land and other private lands exclusively for hunting and fishing access? Finally.... how much SHOULD it cost?

Seriously though... EVERYTHING is getting more expensive. Colorado’s wildlife is a massive resource, set aside and held in trust for the people of this state.... just as it is for the people of your state. As a state, it is imperative that we maximize the value of that resource, in order to protect it going forward.

I get it, everyone would love to come here and hunt elk for $50.... but that just isn’t gonna work. Most other states require arbitrary “lisences” in order to hunt or apply, CO is no different now.

MODERATOR , please remove this thread . I didn't want to get anyones feelings hurt .

lately I've noticed we can't talk about license fees , brass case shoulder angles , and bullets are always a hot topic . SMH

I don’t think this should be removed. My opinion of course.

Songdog’s post is thought provoking, at least in my view, and I thank him for it. I was not whining about the cost, only the way things have gone there, selling out to CA and all.

My state also fleeces the nonresidents, but hunting is a small part of it. We have laid that burden on the tourist, commercial fishing, and on oil. We don’t have a state income tax. Our state has squandered a fortune in reserves kicking the can down the road.

Besides our guided hunting laws for certain species, we also charge the NR a ton of money for a license and tag. No preference points, drawings here are drawings.

I really hope CO isn’t operating under the impression that a hunter will pay no matter what the price is. While there is that group of income class, most people that hunt CO are blue collar. Something like $40 million in nonresident sales and $8 million in resident sales. While CO has a lot of elk, at least on paper, it is not the experience one with an unlimited budget seeks. I hope they tread carefully, it remains to be seen if that extra $80 starts the camel to buckle. It would be sad if their goal is to turn the whole W slope into a suburb of Aspen and Telluride.

Hope the discussion can continue. If we all agree, then all of us but one are unnecessary.

I used to live in Colorado for 15yrs. I had to relocate for my job. I have no problem paying the non resident license cost. I just don't like being forced to purchase a license that I have no need or want. Utah does have Elk and deer, but I choose not to hunt here because of the overcrowding of the available public land. I also apply for Deer in Colorado and like I said I do not mind paying the NR costs. Like the point I made earlier, it would make a whole lot of difference to me if the CPW actually made it at least appear that wildlife management was their priority instead of money. I hunted units 80, 79, and 76 for over 10 yrs and the herd estimates are grossly overexaggerated. If I could I would still be living there, but I need to make a living. Utah is only my temporary residence and will be out of this Theocracy state ASAP.

Feel free to leave this thread open as I do not carry my feelings on my shoulders, and I appreciate the other views.
Take Care
Ed

BTW I do pay Taxes their.. I own a home in Del Norte where I lived for 15yrs..

Back