Feelings when you are killing?

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
I will probably open a can of worms - but anyway...

My girlfriend is out with her cousin so I searched YouTube for 'hunting'
Among others, I saw some videos about heli-hunting. I know - it is pest-control and I do not question it from thousands of miles away, though I have to admit that spraying away in full-auto on game is somewhat unfamiliar.

What cought me was the emotion some showed. Lots of high fives, laughing, ...

And then I asked myself how I would react and honesty couldn't come up with an answer.

I am happy when I make a clean kill and I can't deny that driven hunts have a thrill-factor with game coming from all directions, dogs barking, shots fired nearby with the promise of the rest of the 'Rotte' (=herd of boar) moving my way.
When hunting from a stand, I am much more focused on the animal in front and it is all about hitting the right spot. I feel relieved when I see it going down in sight. Pround? A bit, if the shot was where it was supposed to be. But not that I killed something bigger than me - that's only because someone invented firearms...

So, form a chair-circle and talk about feelings! I know - kinda hard for us outdoor-guys (and gals?)

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Never thought too much about feelings.

I’m getting meat. After the kill, the work starts, field dressing, dragging, hanging, butchering, vacuum packing everything that won’t be eaten quickly.. normally too tired for high fives.

That said, I’ll confess, I have hit a high five on a new hunters first kill, or a really well executed stalk/hunt.

Often, I’ll pray and thank the Lord for the bounty provided.

It’s all perspectives, and non-hunters have no perspective except one of no understanding.(I’m sure that will anger the PETAs, but maybe they need to see a coyote feasting on a live fawn, or a pack of wolves chasing down a deer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best thing to do is get good at cooking game and share it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pleased (thrilled, even ecstatic at times) when I make a good shot and the animal expires quickly. I'm bummed (even despondent) on those few occasions when the shot was poor and a second shot was required. When recovering game, I'm humbled at the harvest and thankful for the meat the animal will provide.

I have taken hundreds of game ,I have never felt guilty or ashamed but I always feel responsible . I take the killing of anything seriously , when I shoot a deer aside from all the happiness and knowing I'm going to enjoy eating it I also stop and think ,I will never see this magnificent animal on a trail camera or out in the fields again . I am respectful and be sure my presentation shows it in photos . We clean off the blood and cover up the wound with gun or bow ,if visible ,and put the tounge in . I don't condemn those that don't share my thoughts on showing respect but everyone who is allowed to hunt on my 520 acres of quality deer management property shares my feelings and show equal respect .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

It really depends on many factors and the circumstances of the particular hunt and harvested game.
On my first big game harvest, a whitetail doe, I was with family and used my grandfather's Marlin 30-30. He wasn't there beside me whaen I made the shot, but was there when I brought the deer back to the truck. Was a sense of pride in making a quick,clean harvest of my first big game animal.
I'll never forget my first elk; I had bugled it in with my friend to a 100 yards at the edge of the bush. Heran at the shot and we had to trail him into the swamp. No blood trail to follow, we found him by smell, and I made the finishing shot. He had gone farther than i expected witha broken shoulder and no heart/lungs left, and was still fighting to escape! Talk about tenacity! There was some high fives after that! It had been a hard seven weeks of hunting to get that bull.
My first mountain goat was at 15 yards at the top of the mountain. He was up again and looking atme when I looked over the edge where he fell. My friend with me on that hunt found himon the cliff face from another vantage point. I had to crawl out on a ledge to make the finishing shot. Luckily, he finally rolled from his perch to a spot we could get to. It was a rewarding hunt! Was thankful for the safe hunt in the mountains with friends on horseback.
My grizzly bear with the same friend later that same year was very exhilerating! My hunt with DrMike for his first grizzly was also a lot of fun and memorable!
My bighorn ram hunt was solo in November and there was a quiet sense of gratitude at the harvest. I had accomplished my goal safely.
Each one was celebtrated in its own way, for the sense of accomplisheent, pride in being successfull of a good harvest, thankfullness for being done safely, and memorable for the hunt, the animal and the sharing of time afield with family and friends.
I am never sad about taking a life, but rather thankful for that animal and the opportunity to harvest it to provide for myself and my family. It provides many fine meals to share with family and friends for months afterwards. It also eases the burden ofothers inmy family in feeding their families. Also like having items from those animals in my home to forever honour that animal and enjoy it and share it with others, for years to come, whether it is a mount, a skin, the tanned hide, the skull or tailfan.
Conversely, there is a sense of shame and sadness if I have dishonoured the animal by not making a good clean kill, and not being able to recover that animal and honour its life through the use of its gift. I make my apologies and pray that it does not suffer long and that other creatures may benefit from that animals loss. Thankful that the cycle of life is there to ensure nothing in nature is wasted and is a benefit to other creatures.

It has changed over the years. It also depends what it is as to what I feel.
Big Game sadness, but I know I enjoy the harvest of meat, I just find them Magestic.
Upland Birds & Waterfowl the utmost respect. I prefer the words takem in the Duck Blind vs people that say killem.
Now Varmint’s Coyotes I hate them but know they are skilled animals, Red Fox just cool and find them nice looking,
Porcupines, Possems, Racoons, I feel nothing.
Prairedogs just fun.
Now feral Cats just put a smile on my face. In Iowa it was studied that they kill more Pheasants than Pheasant Hunters.

Depends on the situation. After hunting hard for days for something in the mountains, after the shot the emotions can run the gambit. I can admit to a high-five or two, some joy as well as tearing up ...at the same time actually after a hard hunt.

Most commonly, a sense of satisfaction and gratitude when it goes right and the animal goes straight down. It seems paradoxical, I don't enjoy killing animals...but I do enjoy being good at it when it has to be done.

I'm not a high five kind of guy, at least not where big game is concerned. The taking of a large mammal is for me a very solemn occasion. The culmination of months of hard work and days of patience, years of developing and honing my skills. It is a relief, a joy, a sadness, and I'd be lying if I didn't say it was also a bio-chemical rush, almost sensual. I liken it to a combination of completing a very difficult, nigh impossible occupational challenge and surviving a near miss on the freeway unscathed. It is for me a very primal feeling that's hard to put a finger on, and a fellow hunter showing too much congratulatory elation for the situation may draw my temporary ire.

Small game is a bit different. I don't mind the "hey great shot" and "wow, those teal came out of nowhere and we wailed on 'em" kind of comments.

My feelings towards hunting are very similar to both DrMike and Gil's. I truly believe that harvesting the game is a bonus and I thank the Lord for his bounty (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Some very good points and all well stated. I’m with those who aren’t much on high fives or excessive celebration. I’m not going to condemn those that do as everyone is different in expressing their feelings. What I won’t tolerate is those that don’t respect the animal or kill and do idiotic poses with the animal or put the animal in poses after the kill.
Feelings after the kill are hard to explain. It’s everything all at once. Joy,relief,pride and humility in one big rush. Respect and the lack of is what will make or break hunting. That’s why I don’t take or share a lot of pictures. I have a lot of buddies that hunt bear with hounds and they don’t allow video or pictures of the hunt. And god help you if you don’t abide by those rules

DrMike":2rex7lbm said:
I'm pleased (thrilled, even ecstatic at times) when I make a good shot and the animal expires quickly. I'm bummed (even despondent) on those few occasions when the shot was poor and a second shot was required. When recovering game, I'm humbled at the harvest and thankful for the meat the animal will provide.

The good Doc echos my feelings. I don’t enjoy killing but I do marvel in making quick, humane kills.

I have much respect for game animals.

Now, to tag a moose this fall to fill my freezer. An elk will be a bonus, but I want a moose more than anything.

I give thanks, for the animal, my continued ability to get into the woods and be successful, for the love of a women that supports my passion, for those who have mentored me, and those watching over me as I get older, and for having the financial ability to hunt and travel around the western states each fall.

Feelings,,,, I’m ok with taking the life of an animal (to include the 2 legged if need be) and can sleep well at night. Now true feelings when I get into the woods is that I “feel” a code brown every time... I don’t know what it is about the woods but every time I get far from indoor plumbing and toilet paper I hafta go... That is the feeling I hate......

I look them in the eyes, I wonder what they have seen, where they have been and what got them to this point. I look into their eyes with respect and admiration. I took their life, I beat them on their turf at their game. They have won many more games in the woods. I wish they could talk, but the lifeless stare is all they offer. I thank them for giving their life to sustain mine.

Scotty, I really believe over the last 50 or so years of hunting the one thing that I know I have become more aware of is my respect for the animals and I am humbled that I have been able to hunt these magnificent creatures :wink:.
I am placing our groups together in the next few days and still waiting for a couple of answers. The zone we have hunted for over 20 years has a real problem with the Mule deer and CWD with last year showing around 50% testing positive :evil:.
Also the laws are just about to change with gaining permission to access private land which should not be a problem for me but it is still going to be interesting for next couple of years here in Saskatchewan :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Feelings??? or Thoughts:

My 1st thought after pulling the trigger is to the work bolt again!

My 1st thought after I'm sure its down, is What's the best way to get this to and in the truck.

My 1st thought after its loaded, is How to quickly get this thing skinned and quartered

My 1st "feeling" is AFTER the works done - that I'm tired and hungry.

Back