Gearing up for Spring Gobbler

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Spring fever is setting in thinking about going after gobblers! As much as I love deer and bear hunting, spring gobbler is what I enjoy most.. fired up the lathe and made a couple new pot call strikers..One is Cocobolo and the other is Gaboon ebony. Both of them have black walnut tops...That dern gaboon ebony paired with my copper call is a match made in heaven. I believe it could call a turkey off the Thanksgiving table.. :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• coco.jpg
    coco.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 787
  • gab ebony.jpg
    gab ebony.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 787
I know nothing about turkey hunting but will say those look great. If we had turkey's here I would be all over them since it looks so fun. I would have to drive 15+ hours to even have a chance at a turkey.

cloverleaf":2mzrjstp said:
Very nice! I imagine that ebony is hard to turn? Go get'em...CL

Yeah, It's a very dense wood so it'l dull cutters pretty quick and prone to "tear out" if you aren't careful...

Gerry, I still get excited and my pulse quickens a little when I'm calling and all of a sudden a tom lets loose a big, booming gobble. Then knowing when to shut-up with the calling and let him strut into shotgun range without those eyes picking you out.

Good luck! And beautiful strikers also. Ain't nothing like some good spring gobbler hunting. I managed to get my first one of the season this morning.
a3de34f717387d1991f4efb6125f3046.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":4hhrpmie said:
Good luck! And beautiful strikers also. Ain't nothing like some good spring gobbler hunting. I managed to get my first one of the season this morning.

Congratulations on a fine bird. How many are you allowed in a season? Like Gerry, to hunt turkey, we have to travel down to the southeastern part of the province, and the hunt is an LEH. Still...

DrMike":uiyc6whc said:
Cleveland48":uiyc6whc said:

Congratulations on a fine bird. How many are you allowed in a season? Like Gerry, to hunt turkey, we have to travel down to the southeastern part of the province, and the hunt is an LEH. Still...
Thanks! In Mississippi we are allowed three per season. Minimum beard length is six inches

Those look beautiful. I'm with you, can't wait to hunt turkey this spring. Had a Tom strutting in the back yard yesterday morning. It always gets me going when I see a strutting Tom.

JD338

Thanks..Honestly though, in the spring when their "sap is up", I've had them respond to some pretty terrible sounding calls and come in. Then there have been plenty that just wouldn't commit no matter what I did.

Turkeys are gonna do that hunter24605, usually it's the ones with hens that do things like that. If we could only see what's going on where the gobbler is it would all be a lot clearer. A gobbler with hens won't leave them for a hen that's a stranger. But if you can get in front of them a little later in the season they sometimes will come to the gun.
When I hear a gobbler in the early morning that answers and comes my way, then goes the other way, I assume a few hens don't want them any closer to a strange hen and leads him in the other direction. But if you come back a few hours later after he's serviced his hens and he's alone he still remembers that strange hen he heard earlier. Hide real good and get your stuff set up before you call because he might be close and he might come in at a run.
I do most of my hunting later in the season because I've always had better luck then.
Getting ready this year the only thing I did was drill out the peep sight on my .40 caliber flintlock turkey rifle. The hole wasn't quite large enough to let me see enough of the target for accurate shooting.
SS850089-1024x768.jpg

That is sure a pretty rifle. Would be an interesting way in which to hunt them, I would think. CL

Well they are not for everybody cloverleaf, but they sure call out strong to me. And yes, it is an interesting way to hunt them.

Darkhorse":1jtq1aq5 said:
Well they are not for everybody cloverleaf, but they sure call out strong to me. And yes, it is an interesting way to hunt them.

A friend who built and shoots a flint lock for fun, offered the following advice: If you are going to shoot a flintlock, you need to have a sense of humor..." :grin: However, he is also fond of loading the rifle for others to shoot and "forgetting" to load the ball. When the smoke clears, he says, "goodness...is it possible you missed the target..???.. :grin: :shock: Lets try that again....." :grin: CL

Back