Scouting for elk

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Was out in the Cascades yesterday, found two small groups of elk surprisingly late in the morning.

One group was down in the wetlands adjacent to a pond, the other high on a ridge, but still in the forest. This photo was on the ridge:

LUYYqa9l.jpg

Pretty close to archery range. Perhaps some archers could have done it, not me, a bit too far.

Guy

They are beautiful creatures, and that is a great picture, Guy. Man, that gets the blood pumping.

Question for you more experienced bowhunters...

Assuming the range was fine, is that a shot you'd take/recommend?

Or better waiting for a more broadside presentation?

My thoughts are that with a bow, I'd wait for more of a broadside shot, and try to tuck the arrow right behind that foreleg/shoulder into the heart/lung area.

With a rifle, ya, I'd take that shot in a heartbeat. No problem. Distance by the way, was about 40 - 50 yards and more uphill than it appears in the photo.

Guy

I’m with you Guy.

I’m normally 20-25’ off the ground. Getting around that shoulder bone would be the trick. The most I’d think I could get would be 1 lung and snow liver. If I was somewhere I could track it, and it was end of the season, I might take the shot over tag soup.

I have two bows. One could break the shoulder, the other, maybe not.

Mission XMB400 shooting 510gn arrow and broadhead. 385fps, I’ve cut legs clean off with that set up.

Matthews HTR 29.5” draw, 70#, 60% rock mods arrow/broadhead at 375gn, move 280fps, I like the broadside with the vertical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful photo Guy :wink:. I am hoping that I get to spend both weeks of regular Elk up hunting them. I know that my old body is starting to break down so I am going to again try for both Elk and Moose this year. I am not sure how many more hunting seasons are left :mrgreen: so I am going to try and make the most of the ones I still have (y).

Blessings,
Dan

With my compound bow, she is in range, but I would probably wait for her to turn a little more broadside, and drop her guard.
The other factor here, is that she is alert to you and will most likely jump the string and may result in a wounding shot (even with the fastest bows today), so I would probably pass on that note alone. Tracking wounded elk is no fun!
With my recurve, it is definitely beyond my range.

Blkram":272qw0w6 said:
With my compound bow, she is in range, but I would probably wait for her to turn a little more broadside, and drop her guard.
The other factor here, is that she is alert to you and will most likely jump the string and may result in a wounding shot (even with the fastest bows today), so I would probably pass on that note alone. Tracking wounded elk is no fun!
With my recurve, it is definitely beyond my range.

Thanks! I was hoping to hear from you. (y)

The small groups weren't too concerned about my presence, but kept alert to my movements and moved off if I took even a step or two closer. It was interesting. Eventually they just walked away, downhill into the thicker forest. I could still see them, but when I didn't go any closer, they just settled down and fed more. Seemed to like a 50 - 60 yard buffer zone, and didn't want me any closer. I'll have to get sneaky for bow season! :)

I love shooting my old 53# recurve, but last year learned to shoot a PSE compound as well. It's obviously faster, and it's easier to be accurate with it. I got to where I was just fine at 40 yards with it, 50 was getting to be okay. With the recurve, I don't have much confidence past 30 yards, though in the past I was much better with it. Just need to put in the practice.

qssOn3Ol.jpg

pLIupUwl.jpg

Some of the local areas here allow antlerless elk to be taken, some are spike only. I'll be happy with backstraps. :)

Guy

Back