Archery Elk

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I've been shooting since I was a kid in the 1960's. Got pretty serious about it in the 1970's and shot quite a few matches with my Hoyt Pro Medalist recurve target bow. Still have that bow, and still have my 53# Hoyt hunting bow from the 1970's as well.

But... A few years ago I bough a used PSE compound, and after a short attempt last year, I'm finally starting to learn it. Had it out at the range today. Zippy and accurate. The release and the sights, and all that compound "stuff" are taking me a bit to become accustomed to - but I kinda like it.

Have an archery elk tag, and that season is in September, so I figure I'd better get a lot of practice in over the next couple of months. My form isn't what it should be. I need to adjust the bow a bit. But... I was making good hits at 40 yards today. Not bad for the first time out with it this year? I've only shot maybe 100 arrows from it so far, last year and this year.

Ya, I know I'm holding the bow too tightly. Sorry 'bout that. I'll relax the grip next time I'm out with it, later this week.

ZyGlVtkl.jpg

Bow is 70#, and I'm 63 years old, so feeling pretty good about that. :)

Any tips you can give me re archery elk hunting will be gladly accepted. I'm limited to spike bulls or antlerless only, which is absolutely fine with me! No need for another set of big ol' antlers.

Regards, Guy

I absolutely love September, the bulls will tell you where they are at which usually leads to cows. Killed more cows with archery tackle finding bulls.

Guy,
Archery hunting is one of my favorite ways to hunt. Never hunted elk with a bow, just WT deer. Practice is important, even after the season opens to keep those muscles toned. If you don't have a laser range finder, it would be a good investment to insure you have the right distance for the shot. Practice from field shooting positions.
Heavy arrows penetrate deeper and are quieter. Get a set of limb savers to keep your bow quiet.
Best of luck to you this coming archery season!

JD338

The Primos Truth series videos on elk hunting are about the best out there for archery elk hunting and full of useful tactics and tips. Used them for years.
Scent control is biggest thing.
After that, when calling, the elk are fairly educated now and want to see what they are hearing and/or smelling; the Montana decoys work very well in this regard.
As for your shooting form, best to have a chat on the phone to fine tune that. It's not bad, but there are a few things that will help with your form and tuning of your bow to assist in maintaining your form. I'll pm you my contact #.

Hear you there...
Started archery with 20 (which was summer 1993) and was quite ok with a barebow compound.
Then - one day - the kids where born and so much to do.
I introduced them to archery and the memory is still there. But not.nearly close to where I have been. Well, still think I could kill at reasonable distances, but since it is illegal here, 3D targets have to do...
65 lbs Darton Cyclone with about 44 a2a, a dream to shoot with fingers. Lowered let off to 65% - 80 % where no good with fingers.
Still would love to get my hands on an onaida.
My elder son is lefrhanded, too and uses my oooooollllddd hoyt raider which I bought 1994 or -5.
Since he is an inch taller and 20 lbs heavier, I expect him to ask to swap sooner or later...

I have hunted archery on and off throughout my lifetime. I have yet to take an elk with a bow, but have had several missed shot opportunities. Several deer have not been so lucky. I have my bow tuned up every other year by a professional, and do practice a lot prior to those seasons where the bow will be my primary weapon. I limit my shots to 40 yards, and the bow is adjusted to 60 lbs. I have only three pins on my bow, to avoid confusion when the opportunity comes. I find shooting a bow very similar to other types of shooting, as the mechanics are virtually the same. A 1/2 breath, squeeze, hold through the let off , and the shot. My next Washington tag will most likely be using a muzzleloader, as they are slightly easier to draw than for a rifle.

Back