New huntress - well, next April...

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
Next year in April I will have an excuse to buy a new gun and develope a new load - my girlfriend starts her hunting-course in a week.
It takes until April with theory-lessons twice a week für 2.5 hours, shooting every Saturday, several Sundays practical lessons in the woods and then the exams (shooting skeet, running boar and roe-deer with a verticar bar for support, written exam and practical test, a.o. weapon safety, animal deseases, recognizing species of animals and trees, ...).
Really looking forward to having her with me as a huntress, not just companion.

She has her own shotgun and we will definitely spend some extra-time on the range. She shot my rimfire and 223 so far and I will introduce her to the 30-06 once her form with the smaller ones is ok.
She will probably get a boring 308. Good thing she is quite tall (5 10), so finding a gun that fits should be easier.
Frank

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Awesome!! Good for her!

Consider the .243 when looking for a rifle. Recoil is mild, and it's a capable round for everything from varmints to deer.

bdbrown66":22gkgop5 said:
Awesome!! Good for her!

Consider the .243 when looking for a rifle. Recoil is mild, and it's a capable round for everything from varmints to deer.
We have a limit of 6,5 mm for big game, so the .243 is out.
Maybe one of the 6.5's

Very nice! Lots of very nice rifles and cartridges out there now.

6.5CM and 7-08 both punch well above their weight class and are easy on the shooter. In Europe- you have several more excellent choices than we commonly find here.

Fantastic great to hear. What ever caliber you get her will work just fine as long as it's not a hard kicker or really loud with a muzzle break which noise can be as bad as recoil.

Congratulations to the future huntress!

Nothing boring about a very effective 308!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank

LOP will be no problem for her ( 5'10" ) but the cheek weld is still important, women, on average have longer necks. A rifle that fits makes it more enjoyable to use.

308 is a good caliber-----but----an animal or two has been knocked down with the 6.5 x55 and 7 x 57 and they would be very easy on the shoulder.

good luck to her !!!

April, the caliber is not carved in stone and I will make her test the fit of every rifle I can get my hands on.
I showed her a picture of the Tikka laminated stainless and it was love on first sight. So I hope that one is a match!

Frank, those are nice! ( Tikka )

Also, a friend just purchased a Blaser. They make one specifically to fit a woman and regardless of what caliber you chose the first time around--you can keep getting different calibers/barrels (-;

Also my granddaughter got a Weatherby Camilla and loves it

Being in Germany, you have heard of a company that starts with the letter K----they will make a rifle for her and I guarantee you it will fit and she will like it LOL

All the best to her

Europe":3sxrle7o said:
Frank, those are nice! ( Tikka )

Also, a friend just purchased a Blaser. They make one specifically to fit a woman and regardless of what caliber you chose the first time around--you can keep getting different calibers/barrels (-;

Also my granddaughter got a Weatherby Camilla and loves it

Being in Germany, you have heard of a company that starts with the letter K----they will make a rifle for her and I guarantee you it will fit and she will like it LOL

All the best to her
As long as I can fight it, no Blaser will enter my safe!
They are good, but over-priced, the trigger is integrated into the magazine and you can only use their scope mounts....
Concerning K - leave me some room for improvements ;-)

Frank

Good points (-:

a tad off subject but wanted to ask you if you have seen the K 20 Victoria ? If I was still able to hunt birds, one of those in a 20 gauge would be tempting. Does your friend also like to hunt birds ? (-:

please let us know what she chooses--excited for her

6.5 x 55 will do what she requires.
Tikka is a good entry level rifle and it will do what she requires, although the synthetic stock's have been known to flex and inaccuracy can occur.
.308 is a good all round calibre and she will handle it well.
But my choice would be the 6.5

This young roe we got last Sunday and she helped dressing.
Tomorrow the lesson 'how to make steaks from him' will follow. Reminds me to bring band-aids ;-)
I didn't have anyone when I started, so she might have a little head-start....
8c0a911183ae1eb85adad594b3464f37.jpg

noslerpartition":2ypedpea said:
Next year in April I will have an excuse to buy a new gun and develope a new load - my girlfriend starts her hunting-course in a week.
It takes until April with theory-lessons twice a week für 2.5 hours, shooting every Saturday, several Sundays practical lessons in the woods and then the exams (shooting skeet, running boar and roe-deer with a verticar bar for support, written exam and practical test, a.o. weapon safety, animal deseases, recognizing species of animals and trees, ...).

That's a lot of training! I'd suppose that such a course produces excellent results, well-trained hunters.

Guy

Very cool, congrats on your better half jumping in for the training. I’d whole heartedly agree with the others, the 6.5x55 and 7x57 are pretty tough to whoop.

Guy Miner":1vt6ktz7 said:
noslerpartition":1vt6ktz7 said:

That's a lot of training! I'd suppose that such a course produces excellent results, well-trained hunters.

Guy
Yeah, takes some time here, some of the content might not be necessary, but it is worth it!

And I will make sure that her shooting form is ok and she knows the physics....

Very Cool. A lot of training, but I'd assume that those willing to stick it out and complete the course are the kind who truly want to be out hunting, and the kind you'd want in the woods with you.

That is great news :wink:, another young lady is going to be taking up the sport.
Last year we had a young lady join our group and she is not very tall or wide (5' maybe 90lbs.) but loves the outdoors.
Sylvia last fall took a Spike Elk shooting her 7mm-08 she hit him in the boiler-room and he did not travel 40 yards.

Blessings,
Dan

Update:
On Friday 13th she passed the shooting test.
Skeet, running boar and 100 m on a roe-buck with a vertical bar as support.
Happy that she hasn't to get up at 6:30 on Saturdays!
Picture was her evening-routine getting the shotgun into position.
How do you like the hunting-boots?
;-)
c0aaf7dfa809b799d3c960e6b195b466.jpg

Back