Pigs!

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
My brother has an in-law in Alabama with a hog problem on his farm. My brother, a few hunting buddies of mine, and myself have been trying for a few years to get it worked out to go down and remove a few hogs for him (purely out of the goodness of our hearts :lol: :lol: ) Finally it all came together for the end of this month. I was hoping for sometime between deer season and Christmas so it would be cooler, but I guess it's gonna be South Alabama in August!! Should be a lot of fun and a cheap hunt too, just a $45.00 3-day small game license. No grand adventure in the wide open spaces going after trophy big game animals, but should be a lot of fun, and plenty of good eats to bring home if successful.. Since I made a post recently about how much hate the 308 Win is getting lately, I think that is what I'll take and load it up with 150gr Gold Dot bullets.

Get ready for those bullets to bounce off those hogs! :mrgreen: Man, if a 150 grain pill bounces off of a Texas whitetail, you can be sure it'll bounce off of a porker! :lol: Sounds like a great deal of fun. You have a great rifle for the task. (y)

Haha, Sounds like somebody’s been getting their “less than lethal” rubber bullets mixed up with hunting rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy your hunt and remember lots of photos :wink:.
Shoot straight, have Fun, and most of all be Safe (y)

Blessings,
Dan

Rumor has it that the tiny 130gr TTSX works up to 250 lbs field-dressed, so yours might just barely work.
But as said - rumors...
Have fun, stay safe with a bunch of hunters and post pictures!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Getting ready to head out for the 9 hour drive down to Alabama. I never thought I'd be dodging a hurricane to squeeze in a hunt. Me and a couple buddy's are leaving here and my brother is leaving his place in Kentucky, and we are going to meet up in Knoxville,and head down to Alabama. Hopefully we can squeeze in a successful hunt and be back in the Appalachian Mtns before Hurricane Dorian makes its arrival.

Hey, we're all pulling for you. Here's to a successful hunt and a safe journey.

DrMike":3ajeajfk said:
Hey, we're all pulling for you. Here's to a successful hunt and a safe journey.

Thanks. I’ll update soon...I guess my brother had no idea just how precognitive it was when he said..”we’re going this year, come hell or high water”
[emoji23][emoji23]

I've got one of those useless, out of date .308's myself. I don't know yet what I'm going to do about it. In the meantime I'll keep shooting it and hope I don't get caught.
Watch for falling trees. I'm not kidding.

I’m having a hard time getting pictures to upload from my phone, but the trip was a success with 8 hogs being removed..no real big ones, they ranged from 125 to 200 pounds. fun, but exhausting in 95 deg heat. Turns out that a 150 grain bullet from a 308 win doesn’t bounce off hogs...the gold dot bullet smashed through three hogs. Two neck shots and one through both shoulders were all total pass throughs with very dead hogs dropping where they stood...the two young boys of the group, one 14 and one 16 each got a hog. As did my brother two hogs. And one of my friends got the last..only one of us didn’t get a hog, but his son was one youngsters that did. Also there is a thriving raccoon population, I may or may not have taken a few out during a night hunt Saturday night. It was a lot of fun, and I’m glad we went, but I think next time we’ll to go in the winter. I’ll keep trying to post some pics.

Excellent report! Good job. Glad that most of your group connected and you weren't pushed out by the storm.

It sure sounds like a excellent hunt :wink: I hope you will be able to get a few photos onto this post (y).
Again thank you for the update.

Blessings,
Dan

Sounds like a lot of pork! Glad you were able to make the hunt inspite of the weather. Good to hear about the gold dot. Plan on trying it out in my 6.5x55 this fall. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":mtfkqyrz said:
Sounds like a lot of pork! Glad you were able to make the hunt inspite of the weather. Good to hear about the gold dot. Plan on trying it out in my 6.5x55 this fall. Dan.

Yeah, I have two coolers full I dropped at the butcher. I'm happy with how the gold dot performed. I wish I could have caught one to examine it, but the hogs had about a 1" exit, the neck shots turned them into bobbleheads, destroying a lot of vertebrae. It was so hot there wasn't a lot of time for a necropsy, just gut, skin, quarter and get on ice...Not your 6.5x55, but my brother used the 120 GD in his Grendel and it plowed through his two hogs with great affect, he used the classic low behind the shoulder shot and said they just dropped, did a little breakdance for a second or two, and expired. One didn't have an exit, so he caught that one in the pig, but he didn't try to locate it.

I'm still trying to get some pics to upload, I even tried to send them via text to a friend and the Iphone just stalls.

Back