2019 Continues with a Bear!

A

Anonymous

We had a nuisance bear that's spent the last couple of weeks being a real pain in the butt in my neighborhood. It was turning over dumpsters, scratching at doors and generally freaking out the peasants. The ADFG folks basically said, "Season is open, somebody needs to just harvest it and be done with it."

There were various reports and blurry photos that purported this to be a "big bear", but I tend to dismiss most of those as either fear or braggadocio. The bear was getting bolder despite having a few rounds cracked over its head and being chased off numerous times. Mrs. Hodgeman basically told me to get off my butt and hunt it.

I located him pretty quickly and this bear walked from 300 yards to 50 yards from me without showing a hint of apprehension. Not good. With a fresh tag in my pocket, I put two rounds into him. He green measured 77" between the claws and 72" nose to tail and would likely weigh north of 300 pounds considering he was as fat as a butterball turkey. Not really the juvenile I was expecting to be living in such proximity to people.

Attachments

• 2019Bear.jpg
    2019Bear.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 558
Great bear to take out of the neighborhood. Should make some fine eating too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You did everyone a service. Fine looking bear, as well. He did need to be taken out.

Excellent job, that's a nice mature boar that definitely needed to be taken out given his lack of fear. As long as he wasn't into rotten salmon he should end up eating well.

Excellent! I don’t think I e measured a bear yet. Just never occurs to me. Thanks for the reminder!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent Mike, congratulations.

Will they give you another tag, since this was a hunt for the safety of the community ?

From memory, Cheyenne, can dispose of problem bears without it affecting her quota--I may have this wrong

Europe said:
Will they give you another tag, since this was a hunt for the safety of the community ?
/quote]

No, I can get 3 tags per year in the unit I live in- which is plenty since I rarely hunt bears.

Congratulations on a fine Black bear and also thank you for helping out the community (y).
The photo is excellent as well. :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Back