Copper bullets...newer developments?

A

Anonymous

I'm toying with an idea...swapping to monometal bullets. I've had some earlier disappointments with copper bullets, but it seems that some development has occurred since then with newer designs and new manufacturers.

Considering that I frequently hunt stuff bigger than deer. Has anyone noticed better performance stepping up in bore size. I know copper works better at higher impact speeds, but how about a bigger frontal area?

I’ve used the Barnes in 45/70. Blew clean through a black bear, double lung off side shoulder...

It’s been my opinion, the bigger the bore the better the monos work. For sure they love velocity...

I haven’t done any formal testing..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm messing with the idea of another .375 set up for the 235-260gr mono bullets...mainly as a moose rifle, although bears can happen just about any time.

I've pulled a couple of unexpanded copper .308" bullets that hit a moose with no expansion at all. I'm thinking if I go to a copper bullet, I'm going bigger. Even an unexpanded .375 bullet leaves a pretty big hole.

For the 45/70, they designed it to keep expanding all the way down to 1100fps. You could call the various bullet techs and ask about the 375 expansion at lower velocities. Wow. No expansion on 30 cal on a moose. Lots of energy dumped and no expansion. Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":3319hnze said:
. You could call the various bullet techs and ask about the 375 expansion at lower velocities.

I got a very prompt reply from the Hornady people, the GMX is rated down to 2000fps for reliable expansion. In the .375, depending on barrel length, that's about 350 yards or so. That should be plenty.

Barnes and Nosler rates theirs down to 1800fps, a figure that I'm skeptical of, but still should be fine since I'm unlikely to let loose with a .375 that far away.

hodgeman":2u5vhujh said:
mjcmichigan":2u5vhujh said:
. You could call the various bullet techs and ask about the 375 expansion at lower velocities.

I got a very prompt reply from the Hornady people, the GMX is rated down to 2000fps for reliable expansion. In the .375, depending on barrel length, that's about 350 yards or so. That should be plenty.

Barnes and Nosler rates theirs down to 1800fps, a figure that I'm skeptical of, but still should be fine since I'm unlikely to let loose with a .375 that far away.

Thanks for checking. I checked my Hornady manual for GMX .375 and it did not have it, so maybe a newer bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a while now, Nosler has been showing a 260 grain E-Tip for the 375" rifles.

I haven't found it actually available anywhere - but was thinking that could be quite a bullet for the various 375's!

(y)

Guy Miner":18m6qag7 said:

I haven't found it actually available anywhere - but was thinking that could be quite a bullet for the various 375's!

(y)

I haven't found any at all up here. Although the 260gr AB is an absolute killer in one.

hodgeman":25y0emfz said:
Guy Miner":25y0emfz said:

(y)

I haven't found any at all up here. Although the 260gr AB is an absolute killer in one.

Ya, that 260 AccuBond is a terrific bullet! I was pleased to see that the outfitter/guide on my grizzly hunt was armed with a 375 H&H, with 260 gr Accubonds! :) They sure have worked well for me on black bear. I'd love to see how they work on elk, but that little task has eluded me. :)

Guy

Federal used to load "barnes expander's" in there 12 ga slugs at about 1400 fps as I recall. (I see Remington currently has the name on there boxes- same corporate umbrella now I think. Don't know if they are the same.) That's big enough... put one behind the near side shoulder on a good sized whitetail and found the slug under the skin of the far side rear quarter. Perfectly expanded.
Currently use federal "trophy copper's". All successful shots thus far have been pretty much through the ribs side to side, not recovered. Those are running 1900 fps at the muzzle. CL

My experience with monometal bullets is with the Barnes TSX. So far, decent velocity from the .257 Bob but poor accuracy with the 100 gr. bullet. In the 7x57 so far good velocity and poor accuracy with 120 and 140 gr. bullets. In the .35 Whelen, the 225 gr. TSX has given good velocity and excellent accuracy. Performance on elk has been excellent however no bullets have been recovered. Shots have been either DRT bang flop or the ones still alive were too sick to go anywhere but did require finishing shots.
Paul B.

I shot somewhere between 50 and 70 with monometals so far.
I started with 168 gr in 3¤-06 (would go lower now). The bigger the game, the better they worked. As mentioned, they need speed.
Now I use a bullet similar to lehigh defense controlled chaos in 150 gr and will try lehigh in 6,5 Creedmoor.
Advantage: damage more similar to.lead bullets
Disadvantage: small exit on bigger game.

Lead is banned here on many hunts, so there is some evidence.

Mistake most made in the beginning was to choose the weight too high. Since the ttsx style does not loose much weight, focus on speed.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Back