Bear with a fawn...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Found this amazing trail cam photo online this morning:

wjK3y4Rl.jpg

Black bears don't get enough respect.

Guy

Thats really amazing!!! I never would have thought. Was that a recent photo guy, the fawn still has spots, very unusual for this time of the year?.

Elkman":2xqmgadv said:
Thats really amazing!!! I never would have thought. Was that a recent photo guy, the fawn still has spots, very unusual for this time of the year?.

I just found it online - not my photo. So... I don't really know.

Guy

Also - at first I just assumed the little bear was climbing up the tree with the fawn....

Somebody on another forum commented - and well - maybe the bear raided the tree and took a fawn that a cougar had stashed? But - I hadn't heard of them stashing kills in trees either.

Darned if I know! Just really interesting.

Guy

Yep there’s a lot paid upon wolves & coyotes but I don’t think that black bears get their due when it comes to fawn predation.

That’s a crazy pic. New Jersey cat ladies can’t quite picture that like we can; one cuddly creature eating another in so brutal a fashion.

Happens all the time tho eh??

A few years back they did a moose calf mortality study here in AK. The black bears were a lot higher the cause vs others. I don’t know if it is just higher populations, more overlap of territories, or what the cause is.

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

Similarly with elk, bears are hell on calves. Local ODFW biologists claims calf mortality/bears is the reason for a spring bear season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back