Slugs for Elk, anyone? Help from the slug deer hunters

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Just curious, the area right around town here is shotgun,archery, muzzle, pistol only. Never see anyone out hunting mosly private but the elk are already down in the fields with the cold and snow we've had. ive seen the same heard of 50+ with about 10 bulls every day now since Sunday on my way to and from town. So just got thinking if the opportunity arose, what would be a good setup that would be able to drop one where it stands if I could get within 100yds?

Personally I'd pick a muzzleloader over a shotgun any day and 100yds is relatively easy with a muzzleloader. A smooth bore shotgun can be a bit of a crap shoot with slugs IMO.

IdahoCTD":jmnc330h said:
Personally I'd pick a muzzleloader over a shotgun any day and 100yds is relatively easy with a muzzleloader. A smooth bore shotgun can be a bit of a crap shoot with slugs IMO.
Thought about muzzleloader too, but I was leaning towards the shotgun just for the follow up shot if needed and would pick up a riffled slug barrel if I convince myself it can be done ethically, don't want to be gutting an elk in the middle of a subdivision because it makes it a couple hundred yards after the shot.

We've taken deer to 175 yards with my Rem 11-87 and a cantilevered Hastings slug barrel w scope. So far we have used the Hornady slugs.

You can do it, but 1) each barrel seems to have certain slugs it likes, and 2) slugs aren't inexpensive.

Muzzleloader with Barnes bullet would be my preference.
Took one with 1 shot at 180 yards a few years ago.

My only deer kills using a slug was with a Rem 870 12 ga rifled barrel using Rem copper solids. They grouped 1 1/2 ins at 100yds and they passed through broadside and on angle from back of ribcage to front of off side shoulder. I know whitetails aren't elk but at 100yds I wouldn't have a problem using these slugs. Dan.

Had a teacher when I was in JR. High talked himself into going elk hunting with us. Carried a 12 gauge pump. My old man just shook his head.... all the way down into the canyon and all the way out.... with a quarter on his back. That was right at 50 years ago, only time I’ve seen it done, only about 50 yard shot as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never shot an elk so my opinion may be of limited value. However, I have had to learn to shoot slugs during my 30+ years of self imposed exile in MN. Here are a few things I think I know:

Nothing drops deer in its tracks other than a brain or spine disabling shot, period. I have seen deer shot with slugs with a demolished heart or shredded lungs run hundreds of yards, animals not as well hit can go for miles, that's just a fact. Seems more so with slugs, to me. I have seen antelope fold completely from a bullet placed below the spine (the supposed no mans land of a deer...) with a 7 Mag. I made virtually the same shot with a 12 ga slug on a deer half as far away, and she got up and drug herself into a draw and require two more rounds to end that mess.

Breneke's are good advice I think. Its hard to argue w/ the numbers. They make a slug (12ga 3 inch Black Magic Magnum) that weighs 600 grains and moves out at @1400 fps, if I recall correctly. That's twice the weight of the 300 gr 12 ga Federal trophy copper or Hornady SST's that I use. Both of them run 1900+fps. But those Breneke's are not copper, solid lead only. I stick with Federals (Trophy Copper) because they are the most accurate for me. A 2-3 inch 3 shot group is doable with them at 100 yards, regularly. I have only recovered one of then. Hit a buck behind the near side shoulder and found the slug in his far side hind quarter. My guess is it was a 70 yard shot.

As has been noted I have seen some Rem. shotguns that seem to group better. I watched a guy shoot a cloverleaf group with Rem. slugs out of a Remington Auto. Maybe they load there slugs matched to the bore ot there guns. Makes sense I suppose... Bolt actions seem to be better consistently, but shot gun barrels are not as consistent as rifles dimensionally. From my experience, some guns shoot better with a particular slug. experimenting is sometimes required.

Shooting, or perhaps more accurately sighting in is different with a slug gun. It has been widely written that you should not let a slug gun "free recoil". Hold that forend like you would when shooting in the field, don't let it rest on the bag. A rifled barrel will shoot high left I can almost guarantee it if you dont.

Also, shooting slugs is no time to prove how tough you are. NO one, nobody, can rip off ten rounds of heavy 12 ga slugs in your shirt sleeves and not start to yank that trigger. Good mechanics and shooting form are as critical here as any where, if for no other reason than that slugs introduce a couple other variables, Recoil pads hearing protection etc.etc

Wind seems to have an affect on slugs. If you've got a 15MPH crosswind, plan on some drift, how much is anybodys guess. I'm not that good. Many years of trying to shoot then in windy SW mn has convinced me to "hold on the hair" and be close enough that drift wont matter much.

A less then good shot is a less than good shot, whether it be deer, elk, or gopher. Im told since elk are big long legged critters they can go a long way in a short period of time, obviously why you are tryin to anchor them quickly. Others here will have more knowledge about where to put that slug to have the best chance anchoring an elk. But if I had the chance with a slug gun to take an Elk close to home I'd be all over it. I like how they taste :)

I guess it comes down to this, as with any hunting. if you can consistently shoot it accurately you are good to go. Will a slug kill an Elk? Heck yes! You will deal with other "variables" if you do so with a front stuffer and you'll have to learn about then too, if you haven't already. I think (my data might be off) that a 20 ga slug is equivalent to the energy of a 45-70 at the muzzle anyway. Nobody would tell you, you were under gunned if you took that after elk, I don't think?!?!?

Initially I really missed hunting with a rifle, and still do, but once I embraced the challenge of trying to learn how to do it w/ a slug gun that became fun too. Experiment, practice, and go get one! CL

Back