2019 Montana Bull Elk

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
Attached are the photos of a nice 5x6 bull elk, with a broken tine that I harvested Sunday late afternoon while hunting with Paulie, my guide at Upper Canyon Outfitters out of Alder Montana.
We approached the hunting area with another pair of hunter/guide also from UCO Sunday morning and spotted a herd of elk on the top of a ridge. The other pair decided to pursue the herd and took off up the nearly 45 degree slope. They located a herd of elk, and watched them much of the day, but were unable to get a shot due to terrain, timber and changing winds.
Due to my limited mobility, difficulty with balance on slopes, Paulie and I settled a lower position up the slope and did not see any elk until we were leaving our post, after I had cleared my rifle due to the approaching end of legal shooting time. Part way down the slope Paulie whispered to me "load your rifle" and I asked why, (dumb question) elk were within range. Paulie informed me there was a big bull in the herd of 10 or 12 elk, and not to shoot a cow. Having loaded my rifle, and now crouched on one knee, I looked through my scope and it was filled with elk heads looking at us. As the elk started back up the slope, Paulie kept me informed of cow, "don't shoot" and then "there's the bull shoot". Having the bull's shoulder in my cross hairs I squeezed the trigger of my Rem-Hart 30-06 loaded with Nosler Trophy Grade 180 Accubonds. From an ascending position the bull turned and ran about 100 yards down the slope before piling up on the ground.
Paulie had me stay at my shooting location, watching the area below where the bull was last seen while he went higher on the slope to see if he could spot the bull, which he did. He called me to join him as we approached the bull together. While I was waiting for instructions I also checked the time and we were within legal shooting time.
Without Pauie's excellent eyes and great guiding I would never have had the opportunity to harvest this bull with one shot. It is a blessing to have such a wonderful hunting companion, guide and friend as Paulie Simmons on staff at Upper Canyon Outfitters.

IMG_6476.jpgIMG_6444.jpg

Rol,
Congratulations on your bull elk. The Rem-Hart 30-06 certainly did the job!

JD338

Roland,

Congratulations! That is a fine bull. Both you and Paulie did your parts. He with his eyes and you with your shooting.

For the other readers, I hunted at Upper Canyon Outfitters last week with Roland and Paulie. Paulie is an excellent guide with unbelievable eyes. He and Roland were with me when I shot a 5x6 bull. However, unlike "one shot" Roland, it took me three rounds to put down the bull I shot.

Dan

That is an excellent bull, Rol, and especially as it challenged you as it did. Congratulations. Fine dining, for sure.

Well that's just outstanding! Congratulations on a fine bull.

Roughly what was the range for your shot? Seems the good ol' 30-06 & 180 Nosler did a fine job. (y)

Regards, Guy

Thanks for the replies guys. The shot was at about 100 yards, slightly up hill. The shot hit higher than I wanted, i believe taking out the main artery along the back. I was told the heart was clean when removed by Brian another guide who did the field dressing and was with the second hunter all day. There was no damage to the ribs which I have requested the processor save and cut into chunks for me to BBQ. If anyone has a good recipe for BBQ or smoked elk ribs I would appreciate suggestions. Brian mentioned that I need to be careful not to dry them out too much. Regards, Rol

As with all wild game, you will definitely want to keep the ribs moist. But, then, I know that you are quite capable at handling elk on the grill. I've had the pleasure of sampling your cuisine, and it was excellent. If you ever make it this far north, I'll be delighted to return the favour.

Rol- Congrats man, that is a fine animal. Way to stay in the game!! Patience and persistence rewarded. He will taste great. CL

Congratulations and that’s the great thing about optics as you can see 30 minutes after sunset. Not always the case with open rifle sights.

Congrats on the bull Rol! That’s really something. Looks like a nice animal.

Congratulations on a fine bull, great to see it all come together for you so nicely.

Back