2019 Season.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Hello all, been off the boards for a while. Life gets busy and can only fit so much in. Had a good rifle season although I didn't kill a buck, but complaining about that in anyway would be comparable to the old saying about don't complain about farmers with your mouth full.

Killed a big old doe with my Dad's M 71, 348 Winchester. Second deer with that gun. Pretty cool honor. Doubt many people killed deer in my state with a M71, and even less with their Dad's M71. So if I fuss about not getting a buck, just smack me. Shot this doe setting up in a pinch point when the wind was right, and caught her heading to a bedding area.

Shot was approximately 70 yds with the 200 gr Swift A-frame bullet. Tight behind the shoulder but a little low taking out the heart. Deer mule kicked at the shot and tore off, but each stride getting obviously slower. Made it maybe 30-40 yds, stopped and turned uphill, then flipped over backwards.

Pretty impressive performance for a behind the shoulder shot with a tough bullet that when I tested it went into 7 milk jugs and nearly 40" of penetration when shot from a mere 20 ft away. Higher up the ribcage, or through the shoulders and she might of planted right there. Only 1 sampling but appears to be a true mouse to moose bullet in the 348.

Pic of the doe on the exit side, looks like multiple exit holes and that's because under the hide was a fist sized section of ribcage it blew out, but very little bloodshot.

Excellent account of a fine season. Congratulations on the doe. And with the old M71! That's pretty cool.

This is the load I'm now shooting with this bullet with IMR 4350. There is no load data for IMR and this bullet, only H4350. You cannot substitute top loads of either because they are not the same powder, but they are close enough that you can back off several grains and work up from there if needed without getting in trouble. Or at least I'm comfortable in doing so.

IMR is bulkier so this load is excellent case fill, barely below the neck/shoulder junction. I knew it was gonna work when 2 different times working up through with single charges, it grouped well under an inch with 3 shots that were 1.5 grains apart in charge weights including at the top. I picked the top charge weight and speed I quit at, and it didn't disappoint. Excellent load in this gun. Work up from around 57 gr's in your gun. I started at 57.5 which produced a speed of 2235.

Nothing wrong with the accuracy of that load. Launching a large projectile as you do is sure to down about anything you'd ever want to hunt with it.

Congratulations on taking a fine doe with your Dad's classic rifle. Great load work-up. It must be very rewarding and satisfying for you.

Dr Mike, you're right. That rifle/bullet combo gives me a lot of confidence on as you put it, about anything I'd ever want to hunt with it.

Lefty. Cool rifle and cartridge that is highly capable, but you already know that! Ha.

NYDan, Thanks. It is an honor for sure. Dad bought the gun new and carried and used it exclusively for over 20 yrs. Been loading for and using this rifle for a couple yrs now, but about a month ago my still living, soon to be 84 yr old Dad told me he wants me to have this gun and gave it to me. I'm the youngest of 6 and have 3 older brothers. Dad cleared it with them all first and they all agreed. It just needs to go from me to the oldest living male carrying the family name when I'm done with it, or pass.

I was not expecting that and I still just view it as Dads gun that I'm using, not my gun. But it's nice to know that I will be able to continue using it until I no longer have the desire or ability. I'd like to save up for a northern bear or moose hunt, and take this as my primary gun. That would be an ultimate for me in hunting on a couple different fronts.

Congratulations on the doe. That's a nice rifle let alone a family treasure. Hope you are able to go on that big hunt with it. Dan.

Hey!- That load worked pretty good! Is that a load you picked up from my Dads old Speer manual? Either way, glad you got out w/ Dads rifle! CL

Back