Bull Elk

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Bull elk about 12 miles from my home. I saw the group of bulls at first light this morning. Took the photos in rather low light, slow shutter speeds, so getting a clear photo was difficult. If they were moving at all, or if I moved a tiny bit, everything got blurry. I got a few decent photos though and will try again later. Found where this small group of bull elk hang out January, February and into March:

yMLFipPh.jpg

Yes, it would have been an easy rifle shot. :grin:

Guy

Definitely some fine specimen. Any one of those would satisfy a dedicated elk hunter. Excellent photos, Guy.

Elkman":3g09puy9 said:
Those are dandy Guy, it looks as though they are wintering well.

Ya they are doing well. Depending on exactly where they wander during the season, it's likely they haven't been hunted by man since they were spike bulls, and likely that they'll never be hunted by man again.

Guy

Great pictures Guy. That definitely took some patience. Do they hang in the area that your hiking or are they the typical cross country elk?

diverdown":97u2izoy said:
Great pictures Guy. That definitely took some patience. Do they hang in the area that your hiking or are they the typical cross country elk?

They're on a chunk of private property now, and probably through March or so. This group of bulls generally winters on that chunk of land. My buddies know that I wanted to get some bull elk photos, so they let me know when the big boys showed up on their land and invited me out with the camera.

It was tough photography in the dim light. Am hoping that I'll be able to see them again later in the day with more light, before they shed those awesome antlers. :)

Guy

SlimFinn - they're supposed to be Rocky Mt elk, but... they do have a bit of that Roosevelt look to them don't they?

I wouldn't be surprised if the lines are a bit blurred up here, after all these years.

Guy

ShadeTree":1rp9y09g said:
Very nice Guy! Pretty cool. Darn fine bulls in my view.

Thanks - I think most of us would be happy with such a bull. I know I would! (y)

I don't think that most elk hunters ever take such a bull. Folks don't understand that an awful lot of elk hunting is for spikes, cows, and raghorns. The big bulls make all the magazine articles & internet photos, but an awful lot of elk hunting isn't focused on the big bulls.

These guys are pretty cool. I hope to get more photos of them over the next few weeks. Hopefully with better light.

We've got some serious snow and cold in the forecast for the next week or more. Might affect their behavior a bit. I can stake out the hay trailer on the place! :)

Guy

12 miles from your home! Nice opportunity to get to watch them. Elk are the most fascinating animal to me.
Thanks for posting. Beautiful!

Al in SC":uktsyshy said:
12 miles from your home! Nice opportunity to get to watch them. Elk are the most fascinating animal to me.
Thanks for posting. Beautiful!

Al, I'm blessed to live where I do. It's not the best hunting, or the best fishing, but it's an awfully nice place to live for an outdoorsman.

Guy

Back