Game Bags???

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I am thinking about making some game bags big enough to cover 1/2 of hanging elk. Hind half and front half.
In looking for material I came across a canvas drop cloth from Harbor Freight.

Would this material be too heavy for this use or would it be better to use something lighter that let air circulate better?
These would be used from December to April so temperature shouldn’t be an issue.
Whatever I use I would hope it would be durable against rips and tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry that my experience is limited to buying the cheese cloth variety in two different sizes, one for deer quarters and the second for elk quarters. They have proven satisfactory and wash up after use for recycling on the next hunt. No problems with tears either. Good luck with your project. Rol

Taslan is what most of the high end game bags are made of. It's fairly waterproof. I bought some 2 ply off of ebay and it's quite a bit heavier duty then the thin stuff Kuiu makes. My Kodiak blacktail skull/horns tore through my buddies Kuiu bag and his skull/horns didn't even phase my bag. The 2 ply wouldn't be the best for hot temps, because I'm sure they don't breathe as well, but for your time of the year I doubt you'd have a issue. I sewed my own bags up from it although I don't use them as much as pillow cases from thrift stores. I just throw the pillow cases away when I'm done so I don't have to slime a washing machine or soak rank bags for days. Here is the description from the people I bought it from:

Description:
This light weight 2 ply 100% Nylon Taslan fabric is a tightly woven, strong durable fabric. It is wind resistant and water repellent making it perfect for many applications, such as outerwear, table covers, lining fabric and much more.

Solid White
100% Nylon
Light weight 6 ounces per linear yard
59 inches wide
Stable and will not stretch

I did the exact thing your are talking about 2 years ago ... bought the Harbor Freight Runner looking tarp, measured what I wanted & sewed it together using paracord (real paracord) sewn into a hem I made at the top to draw it closed.

I then went a step further and dyed them with Rit dye from Wal-Mart. Mostly dark green then at the end I poured black dye on top before pulling them out of the water and that gave them a camo type coloring.

I would think a couple cotton sheets would be fine, and a whole lot lighter. All game bags are for is keeping the bugs and dirt off. I use the hd cotton/canvas game bags but that just because the cheesecloth ones still let crap through, and they're reusable so many times. That and they're the only ones that will barely fit a moose hindquarter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Got em done. These should be big enough for whatever comes along.
41e9f6a09999837d1e8106fb8b54e4ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those Harbor Freight canvas drop cloths have a world of usage. I used to do Revolutionary war living history and used a couple of these cloths sewn together and then coated with a number of coats of linseed oil to water proof to make a fly roof for the front of my tent.

My wife and I made a rug for our sun room by sewing a couple together and cutting and hemming the edges to the size we needed. Then I painted it with bonding primer a couple coats. Then my wife and a friend painted sun flower's and designs that she wanted on it. I then put three coats of clear polyurethane on it. Made a really great looking good wearing rug.

Back