Dick's Sporting Goods pulling hunting gear

I quit shopping there when I found leotards, running suits, tennis rackets and the like. Probably about two years ago.

No body in my family is allowed to spend a single cent there since their anti second amendment stand

Elkman":vj9cf26b said:
I quit shopping there when I found leotards, running suits, tennis rackets and the like. Probably about two years ago.
Leopard skin leotards are excellent camo, super comfy and repel water as good as any of the big 3 companies.......

they are dead to me. I used to buy a lot of stuff there from shoes to hunting supplies, ammo and archery gear. That was minor compared to the amount I spent on golf clubs balls and supplies, they lost a good customer for life over there "stand".

They must have had some kind of a huge leadership change at the corporate level.

Guys - not to be all dismal about it - but I expect we'll see more of this as hunter numbers drop.

I remember going to Abercrombie and Fitch in the early 1970's, and it was full of high-end hunting gear. Now it's a clothing store, nothing to do with hunting or shooting. Our sport simply doesn't appeal to the rising number of urban folks.

Guy

Sort of to Guy's point...

The big reason for the decline of hunting is that its getting priced out of reach in more ways than one, but mainly the price of hunting leases.

You just can't get permission to hunt anymore without paying for it... and paying a lot.

That's the main reason I've backed off of hunting and started spending more effort fishing...I truly love hunting and have never wanted anything more than to take an elk but it just isn't something I can afford....I know a lot of others in the same boat.

In times past, hunting was referred to as the sport of kings....it is returning to that in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As for Dicks Sporting Goods....

I stopped going there several years ago, I went in to buy some 223 ammo and they put it in a plastic lock box and handed it to me to carry up front to check out.

Somewhat bewildered, I asked what the box was about.

He informed me it was to keep me from loading the ammo into a weapon while I was still in the store.... still bewildered, and now a bit irritated, I informed him that I didn't need to load anything, I already had that covered... and even if I didn't, that stupid little plastic box would barely slow me down.

I handed him back his little plastic ammo box, told him I'd get my ammo somewhere else, walked out... and haven't spent a penny in there since....as it happened that was the store manager that day.

I did use them to pick a pair of shoes for my son a while back though....Dicks was the only place we could find that had the ones he wanted, we went there and let him try them on to find the right size... then ordered them online from somewhere else.

Dicks has a subsidiary named Field and Stream that is about hunting and fishing. Last year, 8 of those stores were sold to Sportsmsns Wharehouse. I was in a F&S recently and don't think that they sell any AR types. Here in PA, we have Grices Gunshop in Clearfield that is a huge firearms emporium. I never could see wasting a trip to Dicks. If you are going to boycott Dicks, include Field and Stream.

Ridgerunner665":24nhsc1x said:
Sort of to Guy's point...

The big reason for the decline of hunting is that its getting priced out of reach in more ways than one, but mainly the price of hunting leases.

You just can't get permission to hunt anymore without paying for it... and paying a lot.

That's the main reason I've backed off of hunting and started spending more effort fishing...I truly love hunting and have never wanted anything more than to take an elk but it just isn't something I can afford....I know a lot of others in the same boat.

In times past, hunting was referred to as the sport of kings....it is returning to that in my opinion.

Yes sir, spot on. I just moved from Alaska to Texas due to work. It starts at $1500 for a small whitetail, $2500+ for and 8-10 point.

I can literally fly to Alaska, get dropped off in the wilderness for a black bear or caribou for about $2500. Heck I know of a drop off moose hunt for $3000, I’m not blowing that much on a whitey.

I’ll have to go back to my youth stomping grounds of Montana for deer I guess. But good news is pigs are cheap hahaha

I'd add to whats already been said, that since their AR ban in the stores, a lot of hunters just stopped doing business with them, and that decreased sales of hunting gear in their stores.

They have some great close out prices on some pretty decent rifles, heck help'em out of business and call it adios.

Back