Spring Bear

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
So we are coming up on spring bear season starting in about a month here in Montana. So we have been talking around the office about just getting out and enjoying the great outdoors, but the topic of what to do if you do get a bear is it worth it or would you wait until fall to shoot one? Ive never been bear hunting or even eaten bear meat.
So whats everyones thoughts?

Spring bear can be delicious. Sure, there is less fat since they just emerged from hibernation, but normally the meat is not marbled, so the far is not a consideration. Sausage, hard salami, and other prepared meats can be a real treat. The ribs and hams are excellent when prepared on the grill. Ground bear makes excellent meatloaf. Oh, yeah, missing out on a spring bear would be tragic. Good luck on your hunt (see, I'm positive that you'll do a spring bear hunt).

I like spring bear season for the fact that it's just another good excuse to get out and enjoy the outdoors. I've eaten a couple of black bears and they have been excellent eating. I've had steaks, a smoked roast, burger, and it's all been good. As the good Dr. Mike said I think sausage would be excellent too. Only bad thing about this time of year is the darn ticks! That coming from someone who got tick fever one spring and was sick as a dog for a week.

Hunt the bears , hunt the morels in the mountains, hunt for shed antlers hunt for turkeys as well. How can this be a bad deal?

Spring bear is excellent! I like to make sausage, chorizo, and burger out of most of it. I always mix the burger with 20% bacon ends.

Just like any bear meat be sure to cook it well. It does well smoked and pulley like bbq pork too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back