A different deer-season opener

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
Today began the season for roe-bucks, last year's fawns and last year's red deer calves.
So at three o'clock the alarm rang and even my girlfriend managed to get out of bed. She hates getting up early.
After a quick breakfast we sat in the stand at 4:15. Sunrise was 5:45,.so we used the thermal camera to watch hares in the dark.
The last 5 or six weeks were dry and mild, today windy and rainy. No deer to be seen. We had the forrest 200y behind us and 350 to the left, low barley around us.
No deer around.
At 5:30 - it was quite light - I saw two shapes running our way. Looking through the scope I saw two boar heading our way from the left. The second was behind the other, so I couldn't shoot. Then they turned right and would pass in front of us. I changed windows, turned magnification down to 3, swung with him and shot at about 30 y.
He went right down. I cycled a new cartridge in, but the other one turned around and was too far/too fast for a second shot.
The shot one kicked his legs a few times, then it was over.
This was my first boar together with my girlfriend.
We dragged him the 250 y to the car and drove to the place where we field-dress.
Surprise - someone stole our winch.
Since the other three I share the lease with were out, too, one came over and we hung him with a tension belt.
He weighs 100lbs field-dressed, hit was on the front of the shoulder.
Different, but good start into deer season!
I will try to get w buck tomorrow....

9aa9048a6cd13af1456af76190a7697c.jpg

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Excellent account! Looks to be some excellent table fare as well. Congratulations.

Congratulations on your wild boar. Fresh pork is excellent.
What rifle and load were you using?

JD338

Thanks guys! We are looking forward to the meat it will provide.
The dog already decided the heart is fine ;-)
I used a Tikka T3 varmint stainless left hand in 30-06 with 3-12x56 meopta scope.
Handloads with Lovex S065 and 150 LOS hunter tactical bullets at about 2950 fps.
Don't think the bullet is available in your place. Somewhat similar to lehigh controlled chaos.

Nice shooting! Glad you found a good hunting partner! Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great shooting. I would love to hunt boar in Europe on of these days!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":1y171eft said:

Come here when we are allowed to travel again!

Awesome set up you have. As a fellow left-hander, I appreciate good wrong handed rifles. Excellent optic selection as well. That MeoPro scope has tremendous low light capabilities especially with the 56 mm objective that you have. What can't be brought down with a 30-06 too? Nice post.

Since we hunt boar in moonlight, good optics are a must-have.
And yeah, the 30-06 is more than enough for anything living here!

bman940":1jr38uuw said:
Awesome set up you have. As a fellow left-hander, I appreciate good wrong handed rifles. Excellent optic selection as well. That MeoPro scope has tremendous low light capabilities especially with the 56 mm objective that you have. What can't be brought down with a 30-06 too? Nice post.
I'm also a lefty, but I my dad struggled to find left handed rifles when I was a kid. He did find one, but then bought me a bunch of cases of 22LR and I spent the whole summer shooting right handed with right handed guns lol, he said he was tired of trying to find the lefty guns in the late 90's. So now shoot ambidextrous with everything besides pistols, just never could get good with one right handed lol. Now it's nice to see so many manufacturers with left handed rifles, and a guy dont have to struggle to find one.

noslerpartition":6bp5e3yf said:
Cleveland48":6bp5e3yf said:

Come here when we are allowed to travel again!

I hope one day to make it over there! I spend alot of time on you tube watching african hunting, and European driven hunts. Growing up in NE Mississippi everyone hunted deer with dogs. And we used rifles instead of shotguns. I mainly still hunt now, but I love watching those driven boar hunts. Plus all the history y'all have with that type of hunting and the ceremony after the hunt is really just amazing. I love hunting and history so that floats my boat lol.

So, on day 2 I managed to get a yearling.
Suddenly he was almost under my stand, facing away and heading for bushes.
In a gap I wistled, he stopped and a second later he was down.
I rushed the shot a bit and connected too high, so the bullet left quite a mess. But since I aimed to the front, the backstraps will be ok and hopefully one shoulder, too.
And want we don't eat, the dog will happily do!

Concerning the driven hunts: they can be very exiting and challenging. Not much time to decide if it is the correct size etc. And running shots need some practice.
Those on the videos are special locations. Never seen so much game on a hunt.
When corn or wheat are harvested, we are usually around to see if boar are in. You have to select the hunters carefully, because it is not without risk if someone doesn't stick to his shooting corridors!
e310f8eb9665973517e2911d5479539a.jpg
2806913234204f1c8ea1e141055b3b52.jpg

Congratulations on both the boar and the deer. Sounds like a couple of good days of hunting. Good shooting on your part.

Dan

Thanks!
Our seasons are long. Actually all year for boar, except for females with piglets.
Roe buck until end of January.
So.lots of time left.

Depends on regions.
In the alps or Scottland, the males are around 200 lbs.
Here, up to 300, eastern Germany average 370 and in Bulgaria 600 and more.all for older stags. Females at least 30% less.

Roe on the other hand are small. Never had one over 40 lbs field-dressed, high 20th to low 30ths is normal in this region.

noslerpartition":1om6hv7j said:
Depends on regions.
In the alps or Scottland, the males are around 200 lbs.
Here, up to 300, eastern Germany average 370 and in Bulgaria 600 and more.all for older stags. Females at least 30% less.

Roe on the other hand are small. Never had one over 40 lbs field-dressed, high 20th to low 30ths is normal in this region.

That's about right for Scotland, but ours can be heavier in the less harsh environment of South West England.

The heaviest Roe Buck I've shot is 44lb dressed out, does around the same as yours

Wikipedia says red stags can rival elk in some areas with weights up to 1100 lbs in the Carpathian mountains.
Standing next to one of the Austrian alps, it would look like another species or adult next to young.
Would love to see one of those one day.

Do whitetail, mule deer etc differ that much, too?

noslerpartition":32crep0k said:
Wikipedia says red stags can rival elk in some areas with weights up to 1100 lbs in the Carpathian mountains.
Standing next to one of the Austrian alps, it would look like another species or adult next to young.
Would love to see one of those one day.

Do whitetail, mule deer etc differ that much, too?

I would say Whitetail slightly larger than Fallow, Mule deer similar weight to Red stags, having extracted all the above I can say they are all heavy after a while!

Not sure if weights change with differing areas in the US though

Back