Feral Pig - Nosler Accubond

zacii

Beginner
Mar 5, 2015
I got a 200lb (ish) feral pig over the weekend.

Shot her in dense cover at about 20 paces with a 165 grain AccuBond in a 308.

The entrance was just between the left ear and left shoulder. About an inch lower than my point of aim. Forgot that my line of sight would be higher than the bullet path at that close distance. The bullet exited low through the offside shoulder, doesn’t look like it expanded at all.

I think that the AccuBond may be too much bullet for pigs.

808ba96514699ef7420064802c69e263.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't imagine that was "too much bullet" for that pig. It seems to have worked well to anchor the swine. Congratulations on some fine eating.

I used the AB at moderate speed in a 30-06 for some time. It opened up even on small roe deer, so I don't think it will not open on 200lbs pigs, either.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I guess I was expecting something a bit more dramatic. Don’t know why.

The sow dropped right where I shot her, so all’s we’ll that ends well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've killed a few things with the 125gr and 150gr .308., 90gr .243 and 100gr 6.8 Accubonds. Everything has died but they don't expand like a Ballistic Tip but dead id dead.

For a hog the AccuBond is great, I've dropped a few with them.. all my shots are head shots and they pass through with no problem.. a ballistic tip usually ends up in the head cavity..

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

From reading and seeing the results on water jugs, the common idea is an expanding bullet expands it's full diameter by about the time it has traveled a bullets length into whatever you're shooting them into. The ones that are different are the Berger types that will penetrate the first few inches, even through heavier bones, before the nose collapses and they come unglued.

It makes a pile of sense to me and bears fruit in what I have seen in water jugs with the first few jugs literally being torn to pieces and from about 3 on just getting a hole poked into them.

In other words, I think you had enough and a great performing bullet. Entrance and exits holes don't always tell the whole tail. Heck, most Partitions that exit leave relatively small exits but man, the trauma in between lets you know they really worked!

That is a nice shot there. Its not too much bullet for hogs or deer and its just perfect especially at 25 yards or at 300 yards and it will still be a dead hog. :grin:
I went through my old pictures and found a hog I had shot, it was in the neighborhood of 250 to 260 pounds, it was at 180 yards, if I could remember, and broadside and unleashed a 160 grain AccuBond out of a 7mm Mag pushed by a hefty charge of Retumbo, entered the right ear and exited the left ear and through the floppy ear lobe. Even the hole is seen on the ear lobe. Been using Accubonds ever since and Ballistic Tips as well. They are hard to beat. (y)
Hope the sight of blood is not too offending, but its plenty of chorizo and sausages for many months to come.

BUSqQXRl.jpg

Nice shooting on the pig!

I posted these AccuBonds in another post that I recovered from a nice bull elk ...

.30 Nosler, 180gr AccuBond at 3196fps at the muzzle, 676 yards (Estimated 2000fps at this range)

Elk 02 - Copy.jpg

Back