Roosevelt Elk

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My wife and I spent a few nice days on the Oregon coast. The weather was wonderful! At home it's been 95 - 105 degrees. On the coast it was 50's and 60's, a little drizzling rain followed by a lot of sunshine. MUCH cooler.

We did some wandering around and returned to a favorite place, the Deane Creek wildlife viewing area a few miles inland from Reedsport. Often a herd of Roosevelt elk can be found there, and we saw a couple of dozen. I think this fellow was the biggest we saw. He was busy keeping the little herd together. Anytime a cow would wander off, he was hot after her, herding her back to the others.

Once I thought he and another, slightly smaller, bull were going to square off and fight, but... The smaller bull suddenly seemed to be more interested in grazing and slowly moved away. :grin:

Roosevelt elk are interesting. I've never hunted them. I've read that the bulls can grow to 1,200 pounds! But they rarely have the large spreading racks common to Rocky Mountain elk. Often the Rosie bull displays a more compact rack, sometimes very thick. This seemed to be a relatively young bull, but still, the biggest that we saw.

The Deane Creek wildlife viewing area is a paved place to pull off the road, with a sheltered area that's nice in wet weather. Normally we find at least a dozen elk in view. They're wild elk and can just wander away if they'd like. Trespassing out in the open area is prohibited.

RDlIytzl.jpg

VtrBMKSl.jpg

ypTlGs7l.jpg

Regards, Guy

Elk- any variety - are just cool. Perhaps its just his youth, or early in the season, but looks sleek, svelte and majestic, smaller rack or not.
Sounds like a nioce trip and good time together. Good for you. CL

CL, we needed the time together, away from home, away from "stuff." Kath still works, she gets two weeks vacation a year. This year both weeks were devoted to trips to California to see family. February and August.

The virus has torpedoed my small business. It's basically dead, though I might be able to breathe life into it if we climb out of all these virus restrictions.

We needed the trip to the coast. California? Not so much. :)

Thanks, Guy

Great pictures as always Guy and they are appreciated.
Sorry to hear about your business venture. Hopefully they find a vaccine that works and allows businesses like yours to restart.

Sorry to hear about the business, it’s not a good time for most small businesses, I can’t imagine. Thank God I am in an essential business or I don’t know what we would do. I hope it all turns around soon!

Neat pictures Guy. I could almost hear that bull bugle. Hope the business turns around for you. Thanks for sharing. Dan.

My first fire job was in Reedsport. My first two Rosevelt elk, spike and 5point, were south of there in the Calapooya tree farm. I would like to hunt them in earnest again, however times have changed and I doubt I could get one out of the woods by myself. My heart has always been in NE Oregon, Wyoming and Idaho.

I am leaving to go Elk hunting on Sept. 13th as season our rifle season runs from the 15th to the 30th of this month.
I believe it is my turn now as I haven't had a poke at one for 5 years :wink:.
Guy, as usual your photos are top shelf (y), are you going to be able to get out with a bow this season?

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks re the photos. The light was at a poor angle for the best photos, but I was able to get surprisingly close to one bull in particular. Archery range for sure. :)

Not sure if I'll get out or not. Feet are in a lot of pain the last couple of weeks. Heel spurs / achilles tendon inflammation. I'm taking it awfully easy on my feet as they heal.

Guy

Guy, the pictured bull appears to be 2 1/2 years old. Roosevelts seldom get a chance to get any older. If they do. they will often form a crown at the end of the antler like a Red Deer. Of all the Roosevelt bulls I have killed, only one has such a crown, and then only on one side.

Math Teacher":36o8k1tf said:
Guy, the pictured bull appears to be 2 1/2 years old. Roosevelts seldom get a chance to get any older. If they do. they will often form a crown at the end of the antler like a Red Deer. Of all the Roosevelt bulls I have killed, only one has such a crown, and then only on one side.

Too bad more of them don't reach full maturity. The trophy potential is amazing when they manage to live long enough in a good environment.

I've seen a few real impressive Roosevelt racks over the years, but not many.

Guy

Saw this one last week at Rocky Mountain National Park.

Attachments

• 3E972F24-B78F-4417-A805-546356B462EA.jpeg
    3E972F24-B78F-4417-A805-546356B462EA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 723
My pictures are no way close to your quality photos as I just use my phone.

Attachments

• 7BADD36B-F84A-4B66-BDAA-3A038F35C5E3.jpeg
    7BADD36B-F84A-4B66-BDAA-3A038F35C5E3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 690
  • 785ADB86-EAE3-4AF5-8F1B-F86CBEFA2309.jpeg
    785ADB86-EAE3-4AF5-8F1B-F86CBEFA2309.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 690
Yea funny thing is the Guy The man with me is not a hunter and wonders why there so hard to hunt when we found these within 75 yards and closer to the road and easy to find.

Here in AZ the cabin people say the same thing about Javalinas. The same as seeing every game species BUT the one you hunting when trying to fill a tag.

Nice pictures can't get enough of Elk.

Back