Canadians...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
No not the geese! :grin:

If it hadn't been for our Canadian and Alaskan forum members here I might not have been fired up enough to actually do that doggone grizzly hunt. Have enjoyed reading David's account of his grizzly hunt as well.

Yes, Gerry & Dr. Mike & others... It's at least partly your fault that I headed north, camped in the wilds of British Columbia and the Yukon, just to reach my destination in Alaska, spend all my money, exhaust myself, donate blood to the local mosquito bank, etc... :wink:

When these northern posters write something, how am I supposed to ignore something like this?
"After breakfast we sauntered on down towards the river and came across an enraged grizzly that had just eaten three backpackers. Looked like a rowdy rascal, so I'm afraid I had to give him a poke with my 35 Whelen. Sorted him out just fine. We caught a few trout and then retired back to camp for lunch. It was a thoroughly pleasant morning."

It's funny how nonchalant Canadians and Alaskans are about grizzlies... :grin:

So, thanks for inspiring me. And probably David, though I don't want to speak for him. Tale after tale of bear hunts, bear encounters, and well... I simply had to go saunter on over to the Brooks you know, and sort out a grizzly. :mrgreen:

Guy

Nonchalant? Not certain about that, Guy. Wary, for sure. I admire the grace of these beautiful animals as they go about their daily business of attempting to bulk up for winter. When they are not alarmed, they are relatively easy to kill. An alarmed, angry bear--that can be another story. I have a neighbour from England who has asked if I'll take him out this fall to see some of the great bears. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Out tomorrow to scope out elk. Haven't been out for moose yet, but I hope to get out in the next week or so. It is almost inevitable that I'll some of our resident mountain grizzlies when I do get out.

Ya, I was being funny. Or at least trying to. :grin:

Big bears get my respect. Heck, little bears too!

Guy

Hmm. Bear spray would have likely worked wonders in that situation.

The bear wasn't seriously aggressive, BUT made physical contact with a human...

I'm thinking a blast of nasty bear spray might have been educational for the bear.

Can't carry handguns in Canada, or that would have been a decent response too.

I thought the bear's behavior was interesting. Swat at the hiker, then back rapidly away, as if expecting to be swatted back. The bear might think we're stronger than we are.

Guy

You are correct that bear spray would have been educational for that bruin. His behaviour spoke more of curiosity in my estimate. He needs to be educated, for sure. You are also correct that a handgun would have been a handy accoutrement for that gal. Tragically, our government keeps us safe by not allowing us to carry such things. (Couldn't find the sarcasm font.)

For sure, I thought it was curious behaviour for the bear. We often carried bear spray in the national park (Jasper), but seldom carry it here. Not many people carried bear spray in the Lower Mainland, and there were plenty of bears coming into the neighbourhoods of Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody. Yet, surprisingly, not many people carried bear spray. You are correct that a good handgun would have been handy at that moment. However, our government is determined to keep us safe by not permitting us to carry such things as handguns. (Couldn't find the sarcasm font.)

Ya, must be safe from handguns.

Then again, I doubt many Canadians succumb to handgun shots.

Guy

Guy Miner":qxsgn0fr said:
Ya, must be safe from handguns.

Then again, I doubt many Canadians succumb to handgun shots.

Guy

Actually, in Toronto, especially, handguns are a serious problem, and there is a surprising number of shootings there. There are a surprising number of shootings in Edmonton and Vancouver, as well. I don't really understand it, since handguns are illegal to carry in Canada. The Mayor of Toronto (and the Premier of Ontario) insist that the shootings are because Americans are smuggling handguns into Canada and people on the street can't resist having a handgun. :roll:

You can carry if the gun is considered antique. There are a few people around here that carry older guns manufactured before 1898. Of course, some of the old cartridges could be quite effective. Also, if one is a prospector, it is possible to get a permit to carry a handgun when in the bush. One friend obtained that particular permit. I qualified him on handguns when he was applying for that permit, which allowed me some insight into a situation I'd never encountered before.

Well, up here in the far north, we have to "sort" things out from time to time, just as a matter of our daily routines...whether it be grizzlies, black bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, foxes, or weasels. Sometimes it is a pesky moose, deer or beaver. They can all become a nuisance or a hazard.
Gotta protect the family, the farm and/or the livestock.

The rest of the time it is just providing meat for the table for hungry families. Something that we tend to do more often in the far north compared to our gentler, more civilized neighbours to the south and/or in the larger centres where hunting is something that their great-great grandparents had to do, but they haven't had to do regularly for a few generations now.

Get up where Cheyenne is located, and it is still a regular part of daily life.
She has probably sorted out more critters than most people will actually hunt in their lifetime's.

I've sorted out a few in my day, but probably nowhere close to what she has.
Me, I still think grain fed bears are the best...200 grains at a time ! LOL
(35 or 375 cal my most used)

I have hunted and seen numerous black bears in my time, they have never really been any concern.
When I was up hunting with Mike, Gil and Gerry there were a few times that something got my attention real quick first was when we were driving the cut backs going up a mountain or 2 :lol: and then when we came across grizzly bear tracks (y). I personally thought they were large and then was advised that it was likely a young female because older females would have a smaller set of tracks with them and young boars do not come out of the heavy bush much because of the danger with bigger boars :shock:.
Approximately 2 weeks ago a young woman aged 44 was killed by a black bear while talking with her dad on a satellite phone. Supposedly the bear grabbed her by the back of the neck and it was over pretty quick :(. Her husband shot the bear twice and he let her go, it is very unusual for bear attacks and I believe it is the first death since the early 1980s.

Blessings,
Dan

Guy you are correct in the "help" all those damn Canadians gave us in steering us towards our grizzly bear hunts. It did not help that since about the age of 10, that was a dream awake and asleep that has been with me ever since. Thank you to the Canook's for all of their help.

Gil, hope you had an opportunity to read my post before editing/cancelling it and--you are correct.

It was a lively thread until I posted and brought it to a screeching halt, although besides responding I ask a question--no problem

I hope you and Susan are doing well and are Corona virus free.

Back